Prostate Cancer Compensation

Discussion in 'Cancer' started by ricmanz, Jan 16, 2007.

1. ricmanz

ricmanz New Member

I'm new to this forum and seaching for some info concerning my PC claim.
    I am a Vietnam vet that was stationed Quan Tri. I'm awaiting my rating for prostate cancer surgery I had almost 3 years ago. I applied back in March of 2006 and had my C&P exam 8 weeks ago. I should be hearing something back soon but am courious of my rating. I understand ratings are based on residuals. In my case, I change protective pads 5 times per day due to leakage and have erectile dysfunction and of course the loss of the prostate. Anyone else that may be in the same situation and what the rating may be?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Your PC is covered under 38CFR4.115a (voiding disfunction)

Requiring the use of an appliance or the wearing of absorbent materials which must be changed more than 4 times per day.... 60 %

You'll also get SMC-K for the ED at 0% but it pays an additional $89/mo.

Loss of Prostate gets you nothing.

PS: You only need to post in a single forum. It'll be seen no matter where it's at.
  3. rainvet

rainvet New Member

ricmanz, I'm also a Vietnam Combat Vet who is 100 % service connected for Ptsd. If you were in Vietnam you should be serviced for your illness from Agent Orange because that is on the list of the VA disorders. I was just at the VA doc office for my 3-month check up and He said I am consider a Diabete because my sugar levels keep go in and out of the scale.

Also he told me after my Visit and as I was leaving his office, that he was listing my enlarge postate to Agent Orange and as yesterday has made three appts due to that and to be tested because of it. I don't know why he said that and why he think it is caused from AO and I never though about it let alone would I have ever though to bring it up nor connected to AO. I have been turned down on alots of illness I believe was the caused by AO.

So the bottom line here is go forward and see if you have a claim and remember that you can be service-connected from illness that aren't even listed yet but the doctors at the VA know more about and we are learning everyday to what AO has and is still causing VN Vets in there Health and live's. RainVet
  4. ricmanz

ricmanz New Member

Hi brother, seems like we have some issues in common. When I put in my claim for PC, I also applied for ptsd but I haven't completed the documentation as of yet. I was stationed at Phu Bai & the Quang Tri ammo dump during 1970. I have been struggling with ptsd for a long time and am being treated at the VA. The mental health N/P wanted me to take that new ptsd evaluation test which came back positive. In the meantime, I'm on meds and therapy every two weeks.

As far as my PC, my PSA was slightly elevated but my MD felt a growth on my prostate and is it turns out was considered very agressive on the Gleason scale. During surgery, the cancer was found to be on the outer edge of the nerve leading out. I'm sure left unnoticed It would have spread to other organs. Most likely in your case they will do a biopsy of your prostate which will determine your Gleason score and go from there. I wish you well.

5. rainvet

rainvet New Member

ricmanz, right back at you and also good luck on your out come and if you can and want too, keeo in touck and let us know how you are doing my Friend. Rainvet
  6. ricmanz

ricmanz New Member

Reimbursements for Deductables

Prior to appling for a prostate cancer claim through the VA due to AO, I had prostate surgery through a civilian hospital. I spent about $2500 out of pocket because my medical coverage had deductibles I had to meet, and I have all the invoices to prove it. Can I get reimbursed for this money and how would I go about it? Thanks.
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No, that's water under the bridge.
  8. rainvet

rainvet New Member

ricmanz, the only way you would have a change to get your monet back, would to have your service-conneted illness dated back to the day that you had you illness. RainVet
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

He won't have a chance to get his money back even if he gets his award backdated to when Moby Dick was a minnow because the VHA requires treatment in private facilities be of an emergency nature only and the vet must notify the VHA within 3 days before they will pick up the tab.
  10. ricmanz

ricmanz New Member

Okay, thanks for your answers.
  11. NIUBro

NIUBro New Member

Served in Vietnam in III corp in 1968. Diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004. Had the surgery in a civilian hospital because I was not aware that they recognized prostate cancer as related to agent orange exposure. 6 months later I learned about it and applied for disability. It took about 9 months to get my rating and the compensation amount was back dated only to the date that the claim was filed. No compensation for my out of pocket expenses.
    You should file your claim and once you get it you can finalized and the checks start coming in than appeal to have it back dated to the time that you were first diagnosed. Lots of luck there and you may need an attorney to help with that.
    My friend served in 1967-68 and contact Hodgkins and had (still has) issues with his thyroid about 15 years ago. He applied 9 months ago and the doctors told him that he was eligible for 100% but he has yet to get any official response to his claim other than letters from the Va apologizing for the delay.

Also bring all of your medical records to include with your claim. Find an advocate locally that can help you file the claim paperwork. They are around but if you can't find one contact the local VFM/American Legion posts for help .
  12. ricmanz

ricmanz New Member

Hi Niubro, thanks for your info. My situation with PC is much like yours. I also had surgery in a civilian hospital and later discovered that PC was linked to AO. I used an advocate also. My C&P review was back in November '06. My advocate tells me that claims are backed up so my case was brokered out. Do you mind if I ask what rating you received? Thanks
  13. upstate

upstate New Member

prostate cancer rulings

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I was on board ship, USS Hornet, for two westpac cruises one in late 1965 to spring 1966 and another in 1967 and was awarded vietnam service medal. I had prostate cancer in 2006 and ended up having it removed Oct.2006 which left me with ED and leaking plumbing. In spring of 2007 it was determined that I have bladder cancer and had several tumors removed on two occasions. I am undergoing BCG injection treatments to prevent the tumors from recurring. A friend told me that even though I was not stationed on land in vietnam I would be eligable for some compensation under a new ruling. Could some one comment on this for me. I am currently living in Canada and with goverment medical, I have not had to pay for the surgeries or treatments, just my pads. If I am entitled to benfits how would I go about getting them. Thank you for any and all comments
  14. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The "new ruling" your friend talks about is a decision by the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims stating in Haas v Nicholson, the VA was required to place notice in the Federal Register of their intent to change the M21 manual removing the VSM as an indicator of the requisite service in the Republic. The court also said an error in 38 CFR sect 3.313 (a misplaced comma) altered the meaning and included service offshore as qualifying service. The VA disagreed with both of these decisions and has appealed to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Oral arguments were held 7 Nov 07. We're still waiting for a decision. Until then all "Haas" claims are being deferred until the CAFC makes a ruling.

You can make a claim by filling out VA form 21-526 and sending it to the nearest US Embassy.
  15. upstate

upstate New Member

Thank you for your response. I travel to upstate N.Y (Albany) as my daughter lives there. Would it be better for me to go in person to see some one, at the VA hospitial, rather than mail in a form? If so what documetation would I need to bring with me, my dd214, medical records etc.? Thank you again for you help
  16. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

When I suggested filling out a claim. That was a claim for service connection of your condition and compensation (money) for the residuals. You do this by sending a VA Form 21-526 to the Regional office nearest your home. In your case since you are living in Canada you can send it to the Embassy or use your daughters Albany address. There is a VA Medical Center at Albany but the nearest VA Regional Office is at Buffalo. Compensation Claims go to the Regional Office which is part of the Veterans Benefits Administration. VAMC's are part of the Veterans Health Administration. Two entirely different agencies of the VA. If you want to enroll in the VA medical system you apply aat a VAMC. If you want compensation, you apply at a Regional Office (VARO).

If you are going to apply for compensation you can mail it in or you can file electronically using VONAPP. Go here and follow instructions. http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

If you want to enroll in VA medical care, you can do so by filling out a VA Form 10-10EZ and either taking it to a VAMC or mailing or faxing it to one. It's a long form and asks for financial information. I'd recommend you do this at home and mail/fax it. In the alternative, fill it out at home and take the completed form to the facility you want to enroll at. Go here for 10-10EZ and follow instructions: https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/

You will in fact need to take or send a copy of your DD-214. Understand, enrolling for medical care at the VAMC is going to be tough unless you are already service connected or have a Purple Heart. If you aren't already service connected for some condition (this is why you are filing a claim on 21-526), you will most likely be enrolled as a priority7 veteran and it can take months to get an appointment with a Primary Care Physician.
  17. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi guys
    Anyone heard any thing in respect of CRSC for those of us just under 20 years service? Any decent news to report?

Preciate it
    By the way, Hi TCM. Hope ya had a good new year.
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Frank:

The 2008 NDAA authorized CRSC for all Chapt 61 retiree's with less than 20 years service. The President has applied the pocket veto to NDAA because of an amendment allowing Iraqi funds to be locked down. Congress will be back in session on the 15th and is expected to resubmit the NDAA without the objectionable amendment.
  19. carp48

carp48 New Member

Currently Having PC Treatment

I am undergoing treatment for my PC and have a question for anyone who
    has been rated already. As per Tin Can Man I understand that for a time period
    I will be rated at 100% during treatment and recovery time.
    My question is if someone would like to share it, is what residual after effects
    bring what percentage of ratings? I realize that we are all different in how our
    bodies react to treatments of this sort. Again from TCM I understand that ED
    doesn't qualify as a ratable after effect but does get a monthly dollar amount.
    I also was talking to someone who had surgery 4 years ago, fine until a recent
    PSA was high and had to have additional treatment. Does this mean you file
    a whole new claim or is there special forms that you have to use to indicate
    problems for the same disease have returned?
    I appreciate any answers or comments in advance. Thanks all and God Bless.
  20. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The residuals I see most often are ED and voiding dysfunction. ED is rated at 0% and paid SMC "k", currently $91. There are probably others, I'm just not familiar with them. If you have a relapse, all you have to do is notify the VARO in a letter and tell them the contact info of your doctor. Your 100% rate should start up shortly.