Prostate Cancer Compensation

Discussion in 'Cancer' started by ricmanz, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Vike17

Vike17 Member

Upstate,

If you live in Canada, the White River Junction regional Office has jurisdiction over your claim. If you need to file a disability claim, you can send it directly to them. They will then cooridinate with the consulate or embassy in Canada for any C&P exams. By doing your claim throug White River junction, you can retain your official mailing address in Canada and wouldn't need to come back to the States for any C&P exams or have any mail from VA forwarded to you.

For medical care in Canada, the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) will pay for treatment and services for service-conneced disabilities for veterans residing outside ot the U.S. You can contact them for more info at;

Foreign Medical prorgam
    PO Box 65021
    Denver, CO 80206-9021
    Local Phone: (303) 331-7590
    Toll Free: (877) 345-8179
    Email: [email protected]

I hope this helps!

Vike 17
  2. westerville

westerville New Member

residuals

Hello carp,
    I will probably be able answer your questions shortly since I went for my C&P exam today. Got a call yesterday saying to go at 8:30 this morning. Never would I have thought the doctor would know nothing of my advanced prostate cancer. I was awarded 100% in Dec. and got my back pay. I am having hormone injections to stop the cancer from feeding on my testosterone. I will always be in some treatment for the rest of my life (hoping a long one), be it hormonal or chemo.
    This doctor knew nothing about my case just acted like I had some treatment now I am cured, Oh do I wish.
    He is saying my psa is low so no cancer, which is not true the hormone shots are keeping it low until the cancer fines away around it.
    He asked me about bone pain and wanted to check for metastasis. I said how are you going to do that. I said my left thigh hurts so he did a x-ray. I said not a bone scan and he said oh the VA would not pay for that. You see I was having my exam at a contracted doctor for the VA. The x-ray is a crude way to check for spread of the cancer to the bone he said. Crude and no way possible to check for cancer with an x-ray. I argued with him and he said he was sorry as he went out the door.
    I guess me saying I am on hormonal treatment the VA must only consider surgery and radiation as treatments for cancer.
    Well I hope you get your compensation soon carp and I will undate you with my disability rating when it changes.
    Good health.
    Westerville
  3. carp48

carp48 New Member

Treatment

Westerville, Thanks for the reply. I had the same hormone treatments as you .
    I took Casadex for a month , then had a 3 month shot of Lupron for the
    testosterone as you did. What surprises me is the first thing that was done
    after my diagnosis in August 07 was a complete body bone scan and a pelvic
    cat scan to be sure the cancer was only limited to the prostate. I have only
    had my treatments by private DR.s and feel fortunate to be able to do that.
    I hope that you can get better treatment and diagnosis somewhere.
    How are they treating you besides the hormones? I know that each case is different and options are different for each individual based on Gleason scores etc..
    Take care and gain thanks for the information and future updates.
    God Bless Mike.
  4. westerville

westerville New Member

Well carp,
    I have had surgery and radiation both failed the cancer was outside the prostate. My psa kept increasing so now I am going to Dr. Charles Myers a cancer survivor himself and expert in triple blockage hormonal treatment. Because of my aggressive cancer gleason 9. I need all the expert help I can get. So I am on casodex , eligard shot and avodart. He says that my case is a difficult one so he monitors my lab work monthly. I had trouble with my private doctors so the VA I would not use their doctors.
    Gotta go,
    Later, Westerville
  5. carp48

carp48 New Member

Treatment

Westerville,
    I am sorry to hear that your PC is as advanced as it is. I hope that your treatments now will do the trick and contain it.
    In talking to both my urologist and radiation oncologist it seems that the
    treatments for PC are changing and different methods keep being developed.
    I was surprised to learn that PC has only been aggressively researched
    and studied for the past 15 years. This is a disease that affects so many men,
    not just us as veterans, but the population in general. My urologist said if you
    put 100 urologists in a room you would get 100 different opinions. This is good
    as the more people concerned and up to date on PC, the more ideas that
    physicians and researchers come up with the better for us.
    Take care my friend and God Bless, Mike
  6. westerville

westerville New Member

Thanks Mike,
    I am doing well since becoming a patient of Dr. Myers. Since he went through the same diagnosis as me he knows the latest treatments. He said when he was diagnosed his fellow oncologists told him to enjoy himself since he only had five years at best. He decided to resign his position at University of Virginia and start his own practice to treat this dreaded disease. He had his radiation in 2000 and is doing fine. When I told his about my urologist saying no matter what I did would help with my survival and he recommended doing nothing because of quality of life. Dr. Myers said that is not true their are men living fifteen years and longer on the intermittent hormonal therapy.
    So I now feel better than ever before. Just dealing with the stresses of the VA is another story.
    You take care also,
    John