Question about rating percentages

Discussion in 'General Claims' started by pathfinder74, Nov 6, 2007.

1. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

How high can ratings for service connected "injuries" go?

Traumatic Arthritis? 10%
    Tinnitus? 10%
    Foot Pain? 0%

All of these problems have gotten worse since my original rating so I'm wondering if I do submit an appeal, can these even go up more than they already are?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Arthritis is usually evaluated based on the joint/s affected. Which of your joints are affected? Which diagnostic code did the VA use?

Tinnitus is fixed at 10%

I have no idea what foot pain is or why you even got 0% for it unless the VA was recognizing an in service injury that doesn't meet any current requirement for compensation. What diagnostic code did they evaluate it as?

Look at your decision papers, It will usually state exactly what the award was for and which DC.
  3. Vike17

Vike17 Member

Pathfinder,

Here is the rating criteria for "Traumatic Arthritis" and "Foot pain";

5003 Arthritis, degenerative (hypertrophic or osteoarthritis):

Degenerative arthritis established by X-ray findings will be rated on the basis of limitation of motion under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joint or joints involved (DC 5200 etc.). When however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the appropriate diagnostic codes, a rating of 10 pct is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5003. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. In the absence of limitation of motion, rate as below:

With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups, with occasional incapacitating exacerbations.....20%

With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups.....10%

Note (1): The 20 pct and 10 pct ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be combined with ratings based on limitation of motion.

Note(2): The 20 pct and 10 pct ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be utilized in rating conditions listed under diagnostic code 5013 to 5024, inclusive.

5276 Flatfoot, acquired:

Pronounced; marked pronation, extreme tenderness of plantar surfaces of the feet, marked inward displacement and severe spasm of the tendo achillis on manipulation, not improved by orthopedic shoes or appliances:
    Bilateral.....50%

Unilateral......30%

Severe; objective evidence of marked deformity (pronation, abduction, etc.), pain on manipulation and use accentuated, indication of swelling on use, characteristic callosities:
    Bilateral.....30%
    Unilateral....20%

Moderate; weight-bearing line over or medial to great toe, inward
    bowing of the tendo achillis, pain on manipulation and use of the feet, bilateral or unilateral ........10%

Mild: symptoms relieved by built-up shoe or arch support.....0%

5277 Weak Foot, bilateral:

A symptomatic condition secondary to many constitutional conditions, characterized by atrophy of the musculature, disturbed circulation, and weakness:
    Rate the underlying condition, minimum rating ......10%

5278 Claw foot (pes cavus), acquired:

Marked contraction of plantar fascia with dropped forefoot, all toes hammer toes, very painful callosities, marked varus deformity:
    Bilateral......50%
    Unilateral....30%
    All toes tending to dorsiflexion, limitation of dorsiflexion at ankle to right angle, shortened plantar fascia, and marked tenderness under metatarsal heads:
    Bilateral.....30%
    Unilateral....20%

Great toe dorsiflexed, some limitation of dorsiflexion at ankle, definite tenderness under metatarsal heads:
    Bilateral.....10%
    Unilateral....10%
    Slight.........0%

5279 Metatarsalgia, anterior (Morton’s disease), unilateral, or bilateral...10%

5280 Hallux valgus, unilateral:

Operated with resection of metatarsal head.....10%
    Severe, if equivalent to amputation of great toe....10%

5281 Hallux rigidus, unilateral, severe:

Rate as hallux valgus, severe.

Note: Not to be combined with claw foot ratings.

5282 Hammer toe:

All toes, unilateral without claw foot......10%
    Single toes............0%

5283 Tarsal, or metatarsal bones, malunion of, or nonunion of:

Severe.....30%
    Moderately severe....20%
    Moderate........10%

Note: With actual loss of use of the foot, rate 40 percent.

5284 Foot injuries, other:

Severe.....30%
    Moderately severe.....20%
    Moderate.....10%

Note: With actual loss of use of the foot, rate 40 percent.

The 'foot pain" as TinCanMan said is dependent on what DC it is rated under.

Tinnitus can only achieve a rating of 10% and no higher.

Vike 17
  4. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

The arthritis I think was a blanket rating for the collateral fatigue/pain resulting from my weight shifting to my sound leg when my amputated leg is giving me problems. I have wicked pain in my knees, ankle, and toes.

For my foot pain I think it was rated 0% just to show that it is documented but isn't a compensable "injury", even though it hurts so much I have to stop walking and manually crack the middle and "ring" toes on y right foot to be able to walk again. It seems to be from walking on the outside of my foot and I have shoe inserts but they're only mildly effective.
  5. burgettg

burgettg New Member

Vike17 is there a web address that lists these percents and others as well?
  6. Vike17

Vike17 Member

7. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

What's the formula that determines the final rating percentage?
    With all of the different percentages for the various disabilities that are compensated for.... how do they add them up to come up with the final percentage that they actually give you?
  8. Vike17

Vike17 Member

Pathfinder,

The percentages aren't "added-up," they are combined using the "combined Ratings Table" found under §4.25. Go here;

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html

and scroll down to §4.25. It's pretty self explanatory.

Vike 17
  9. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Hey, I saw this helpful help. It combines the disability percentages with bilateral factor capability and calculates a current monthly payment. Check it out at www.VetCalc.com
  10. akshay ortho

akshay ortho New Member

I am very heavy, my feet are sensitive, Plantar fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis, Arthritis. Nothing I have purchased before including at the Podiatrist office has been this durable and this comfortable. I know I will buy more in the future as they wear out. If you are thinking about it, don't, your feet will thank you, I know mine have by being painless. orthofeet is very comfortable.