Question on Combining Ratings

Discussion in 'Disability' started by will64, Jul 9, 2008.

1. will64

will64 New Member

I've starting getting things together to apply for an increase my disability rating for diabetes from 20% to 40%. I read something on a a different forum that indicated that instead of recalculating my rating based on 40% diabetes plus 10% hypertension, VA will calculate the new rating based combination of my current rating with a separate 20%.

Assuming the diabetes rating is increased to 40%, the first method results in a rating of 50% disability whereas the second method would result in 40% disability rating.

Because I am retired, I would loose concurrent receipt in addition to the lower payment. It also seems inequitable and unfair. Does anyone know which is correct?

Will64
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Your new combined rating will be your new diabetes rating combined with any existing unchanged ratings. Be advised 40% for DMII requires "regulation of activities". This is not as simple as it sounds. It does not mean you should exercise or you should cut calorie intake but more like, you must not exert yourself and upset your glucose level.