Question on IU and CRP Payments

Discussion in 'Disability' started by GirlVet, Mar 21, 2005.

1. GirlVet

GirlVet New Member

This is my first ever post, but I'm hoping somone can answer a question. I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer from DFAS or VA on this matter. Please bear with me as I try to explain my dilemma. I retired on 1 Jul 04 after 23 years in the Air Force (I'm a retired E-8). In Dec 04, I was awarded 100% disability based on IU (my service-connected disability rating was 80%). In January 2005, DFAS waived my retirement pay since my disability pay is more than my retirement. I'm also receiving $894 per month in Concurrent Receipt. I called DFAS Retired Pay to find out if I was entitled to $750 per month in concurrent receipt for Aug-Dec 04, and was told that it is retroactive but that Concurrent Receipt is paid out of a totally different appropriation and therefore computed/paid by a separate division within DFAS. However, DFAS says they don't owe me any money because they paid me all of my retired pay for Aug-Dec 04 (and they're absolutely correct). DFAS suggested that I call VA about the additional $750 per month.

Well, I called VA and the benefits counselor told me that VA doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with Concurrent Receipt, and that when VA offsets retired pay, they must do so without regard for Concurrent Receipt. So...was I entitled to $750 a month for the period Aug-Dec? If my calculations are correct, I'm been shorted $750 a month for five months, since VA totally offset my retired pay from their award, and DFAS (to include the concurrent receipt branch) are telling me they don't owe me any retired pay because they paid me my "entire" retired pay for Aug-Dec. What happened to the $750 in concurrent receipt? I'd appreciate your thoughts, and i hope this is not too confusing.
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

GirlVet:

The VA is correct here, they don't have anything to do with CRDP because it is a DoD program. DFAS is the DOD financial arm and does what DOD tells them to do. At the moment, DOD has declined to instruct DFAS to pay CRDP to IU folks. DOD is presently examining the issue to decide if they have legal authority to cut the check.

The statute as written is unclear. DOD doesn't want to pay cuz it'll come out of their budget initially. Congress really doesn't want to hear about it because when DOD starts asking for the funds to support it they will have to choose between increasing taxes or cutting some domestic pork. Every one in a position of authority is trying to avoid it. If you want answers, talk to your legislators.

As far as this business of "retroactive" goes, my understanding of it is DOD has a differing definition of retro than the VA. VA generally pays back to date of claim. That's not so for DOD, who will pay back to date VA initially notifies them you are eligible. IOW, it doesn't go back to the date you made claim with VA but, the date the VA first notified DFAS of you new status.