Recruiting State Reps

Discussion in 'Homeless Veterans Information' started by Jason Youngberg, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Jason Youngberg

Jason Youngberg New Member

I was medically discharged from the navy in 2005. I was never homeless, but I was about as close as you can get without actually being there. I was going through a divorce, had absolutely nothing to my name, and lived in what was basically a walk in closet at my dad's house. I rebounded from that and went on to be fairly successful.

Back then, I had an idea.it wasn't really feasible for me to implement t at the time, and I kind of forgot about it. Over the past 10 years, it's popped back into my thoughts every now and then, and I've been fine tuning it. Over the years, the basic principle has changed little, but the implimentation has morphed from a personal endeavor into me starting a non profit organization to push to get this program started at a state level.

I'm on the ground floor with this, I'm meeting with my county VSO next Tuesday, and am currently working around both our schedules to meet with the county commissioner. My hope is that I can find a volunteer representative from every state to move forward with this at a national level.

What I'm hoping to achieve is a strong foundation that will have the clout to get meetings with state legislators to present our program and work to have it implimented as a state run program. This program is a win win situation for everyone. It costs the state, or counties, depending on how each one is run, very little to start, but it takes the burden of housing homeless veterans off of them, while introducing them back into the work force, thereby increasing their tax revenue over the years.

So, what is this program? It's a very simple, common sense, plan. There are several checks snd balances to protect both the state, and the enrollees in the program, but they're too numerous to list here. The basics of the program are: an aspiring entrepreneur applies for a grant and upon approval is given a tax forfeited building to start their business in. The caveat is, they have to convert part of the building to a living space and employ homeless veterans. The veterans are given a place to stay and are paid minimum wage for a predetermined period of time. Half of their pay is given to them on their paycheck, the other half is put into a savings account by the employer. At the end of their contract, they are paid what is in their savings, which should be enough to get them started out on their own. If they choose, and their employer agrees, they could also extend their contract. The veteran learns an employable job skill, and the employer isn't crushed by high overhead expenses as they try to get their business off the ground. The employer could possibly find employees they want to keep, and negotiate their pay at the end of the "apprenticeship", or the employee could take their newly acquired job skills and find another job.

I'm sure you're sitting there shooting holes in this plan, but as I stated earlier, there are many checks and balances to protect everyone involved.

If you're interested in being the representative for your state, please contact me. I'd like to get each state representative seated and send them a more detailed plan to review. Afterwards, we would convene meetings to iron out any wrinkles we find as a group and write up a final plan. Once the final plan is complete, we would convene again to discuss strategy for meeting with legislators and presenting it.

The one thing I would insist on is that you leave all politics and personal beliefs out of any meetings. This is truly about helping people, not pushing any type of personal agenda.

If you're interested in being a part of this, please contact me. My email address is [email protected]

Thank you for reading this, I know it was long, and I hope to hear from you. Let's make a real difference!

Jason Youngberg