Retiree's due back pay????

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by TinCanMan, Jul 13, 2006.

1. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

2. stevedenesha

stevedenesha New Member

Talking about the military not going back and paying the offset monies. Example, you are awarded 70% VA disability with effective date of 1 Aug 05 and you had VA disability of 40% before the 70% was awarded. The military will not go back to 1 Aug 05 and pay the monies owed because of the new Concurrent Receipt (CRDP) Law but will only start paying the CRDP effective now.

Steve
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

What confuses the issue is pi$$pot can't seem to decide if he's talking about CRSC or CRDP but then that's nothing new for him or military.com. There are a whole lot of easier ways to describe the CRDP backpay problem than a two page dissertation but I guess that doesn't sell press.
  4. maxtor

maxtor Member

Back Pay

i am like you TinCanMan. someone will have to decipher this for me. i think i might fall in there somewhere since i am a disable retiree with 20. i sure like the headlines. we shall see what becomes of this.
  5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I think the headline and the sensationalism of it are the key. He's just another one of the media loons looking to sell copy.

Philpot has this to say:
    "Within the next two weeks, Defense officials hope to resolve final details with the VA on how their underpayments will be calculated, how processing costs will be shared between departments, how retirees will be notified and when most of these retirees can expect to be paid."

That seems to imply he has a basic lack of understanding of things. CRDP and CRSC are DoD programs. Why ever would DoD need to resolve anything with the VA. The VA already notifies DoD of the changes and their effective date. It is DoD that claims the law doesn't permit back pay and from what I can see, that's correct. Additionally, there is no statute that authorizes the VA to do so either. I'm told it is case law that decided Congress intended payment from the effective date. In the CRDP/CRSC instance there is no such case law. I need to find out which case it was that required the VA to do that.

CRDP and CRSC are fairly new developments in the past 2/3 years and the bottom line here is we have substantially more than veterans in the past 100 years. Personally, I feel grateful for what I do have. If I never see a penny of back pay I will still feel that way.
  6. maxtor

maxtor Member

back pay

i see in there it might take up to 6 months to figure out all the so called back pay is due each member. actually it is not back pay per say. we were actually due that when it went into effect.

it was hard enough to dechipher the changes they made last year to move back the phase in period to 2009. you could translate it in different ways. why in the dogsh_t cant they put it in lay terms and everyone can understand and not hit around this and that and leave us scratching our head about which way to believe.
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Because then they wouldn't be able to dazzle us with BS and impress us with how smart they are.
  8. maxtor

maxtor Member

back pay

everytime they publish something it can be mistranslated to a bunch of different ways. i agree that they try to dazzle with BS but it leaves too much for interpretation. we are always left scratching our heads and wondering how to interpret what they are saying. they need to let someone not working with that type thing to read and interpret or understand it before it goes out. that would help trememdously.
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

That would be nice but it wouldn't keep us peon's coming back time and again trying to understand what they said. I posted their link here because I didn't understand it. I've gone back several times to re read it. You went once, at least. Wonder how many others did, too. Each of us generated a hit for Pi$$pot and the site. The more hits they get, the more advertisers will pay.
  10. maxtor

maxtor Member

back pay

i printed it off so i could read and reread it trying to make heads or tails of that complicated mess. they tell us that each one has to be figured by stubbly pencil instead of computer which in fact may be correct.
  11. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I think we have to keep in mind, these are all pi$$pot's words. Nowhere does he quote either a VA, DoD or DFAS official. It shouldn't really be too hard to calculate any benefit by computer. Lets see, The VA already knows who is a retiree. All they have to do is send DFAS another list of all retirees with new benefits since 2004, to include Date of Award and EED. DFAS bumps this list against known CRDP and CRSC eligibles. DFAS tosses out ineligibles and creates a separate list for CRSC and CRDP. Run each list against existing database to determine when each retiree started drawing CRDP or CRSC. The difference between that date and the EED is the number of mos. of back pay. Retiree's that have had increases or shifted between CRSC and CRDP could add complexity but, those could be cut out and processed manually. I doubt it can't be done by computer. I may not have it all right but then, I'm a systems analyst not a data analyst.
  12. maxtor

maxtor Member

back pay

i dint put any credence in what he writes but evidently he has got some information somewhere so we will see what happens. i could see where figuring individual CRDP CRSC could be mind boggling at times. we shall see what becomes of this in the next few weeks. i hope he is right cause that would sure help my sore leg, back, hips and all the other problems. i will believe when i hear from DFAS or DOD.
  13. ncr44d

ncr44d New Member

Wow...two weeks ago when I stumbled on this issue I didn't think anything was being done. Tincan told me nothing could be done because of the way the law's were (rightfully so) and my best bet was writing my congressman. I've already completed a letter to my congressman but have not sent it out. Now it looks like I need to change it drastically. This is great. According to the article it's been in the works for 3 years. My VA counselor suggested I hold on to the letter until I get my son back on my disability record, threatoning it would take even longer. Glad I did.

Why do you all call him Pi$$pot? He was the only one I ever found writting about this issue before it became law. In fact, I've not seen anyone else writing about it and the best info I can receive is the MOAA updates. I don't know about his other positions but on this one he's been a very strong supporter. It's a complicated issue and when I talk about it to other vet's I usually get a deer in the headlights look. I had one VA counselor tell me that there was no way I wasn't getting the full amount on my retirement pay.

I do put credence in Tom Philpotts article's... I consider his past articles were instrumental in the passing of this legislation. He was able to take a very complex issue and point out the injustice of the law. Nothing was done for 100 years. He was able to inform not just the vet's involved but the active duty to follow. Not saying he belongs on Mount Rushmore but the guy has been a good fighter for this issue.
  14. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Pi$$pott isn't doing anything about anything. He's just taking information from various sources and creating an article that makes it look like something is being done and he is instrumental, it isn't and he isn't. The MOAA is probably more instrumental at getting veterans legislation passed than anyone. If you'll note, he doesn't make any direct quotes. That's because he hasn't spoken to any one directly.

As far as the 3 years goes, well... that's when CRSC first was approved.

Pi$$pott and Larry the Loon are media pundits. They're just keeping themselves employed. I don't believe anything I find on Military.com unless it's backed up by an official source. That's my opinion, yours may vary.

Neither one of those two clowns did anything other than write about it and then only after it was a done deal. CRDP was pretty much a grassroots effort by veterans and the banner was picked up by Win Reither and the MOAA. Veterans have been stumping for CRDP heavily since GW1 and we finally got a piece of the pie. Neither of them did anything to get the legislation for CRSC or CRDP. Now they moan about backpay as if the invented it.

If DoD wanted to do do backpay, they would have done so. Nothing has changed.
  15. ncr44d

ncr44d New Member

Never seen Tom Philpott trying to tell anyone that he was responsible for concurrent receipt. Read a lot of his article's, never saw him trying to take any credit. However, I do give him credit for informing people, that's what reporter's do, they collect information and report it. I'm also very glad he pointed out that there is action being taken on this issue, before I wrote my congressman. Like I said before, I'm not ready to put him on Mount Rushmore but hey, some respect and a thank you is very much deserved.
  16. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I don't see any action being taken. If there were action that DoD could have taken, they would have done that 3 years ago. There is no reason to consult with the VA. DoD already has all the information they need. But hey, If you're satisfied with it... be happy, don't worry. Personally, I'm grateful for what I already have, which is substantially more than I had 3 years ago. I also didn't get full CR but I choose to look at the annual increment as an annual pay raise. I have much more to do than worry about a few cheasy bucks from backpay.

As far as information goes, I'd prefer to get mine from official sources. I maintain contact with the retired military community, I browse a variety of DoD websites, I get VA press releases, I work for DoD and read all the bulletins. I get retiree newsletters that publish links to the sources of their information. I have an account at Navy Knowledge Online. I read the Early Bird news summary at AFIS. In general I find Military.com yesterdays news and pandering toward sensationalism. As a matter of fact, if you want to read veterans news you can read about it here, just click the News bar at the top of the page. In general, anything published by the fourth estate is suspect until vetted.
  17. danbo777

danbo777 New Member

back crsc and crdp

Greetings, I happen to be the VET philpott is talking about--i figured the whole mess out and now the decision has been made & i was right all along--those who have money coming will be notified and I know they owe me about 8k--but they need work out a foolproof system so as not to overpay anyone--I figure all will be paid by next summer this time. I realize it's a little confusing but you need to read the details and understand whats written in the CRSC/CRDP regs and know each vets case before knowing what he is owed. regards Daniel--:D
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Yes, you've told us that several dozen times. I find it strange that philpot is the only source for this information. There's not one other media pundit saying a word and no information at all from official sources. Defenselink, DFAS, FirstGov, AFIS, the VA; all absolutely silent. Not a word from any politician either. Normally, these agencies would be falling all over themselves to publish the good word on how they're doing something for us. I think I'll wait for the official word before I start spending.
  19. danbo777

danbo777 New Member

DFAS SENT ME A MESSAGE directly from DFAS explaining they are working on the back pay issue. you may not have anything coming--and if you did you can't figure it out anyway. if you want the latest word send me your e mail address in a private message and i'll forward the info to you---this is the last word from me on the issue unless someone needs their individual case analyized--
  20. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

OK, Now I believe it

Potential Retroactive Pay Due as a Result of CRSC/CRDP

Potential retroactive pay is due for approximately 100,000 retiree accounts. The accounts affected are those entitled to Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) or Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and have been awarded a retroactive increase in a Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) rated disability. DFAS has developed procedures with the DVA to provide retirees full entitlement to both DVA compensation and CRSC or CRDP for the DVA retroactive award determination period. We have worked closely with the DVA to resolve logistical issues required to make the payments. Payments will begin to those eligible in September 2006. The method to support the large number of eligible retirees through the payment process required may take up to 12 months to complete. Until the systems are enhanced, manual calculations are being made to determine the appropriate payment amounts for those retirees entitled to additional money from DFAS. Please be patient as we work through the process with the DVA and simultaneously enhance our systems to calculate these payments automatically. In some instances, recipients may be entitled to additional compensation from the DVA. In such instances, the DVA is responsible for the payments and will notify the affected retirees. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.