Retirees to Earn $1000 Referral Bonus

Discussion in 'Active Duty' started by knewheart, Jun 6, 2006.

1. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Retirees to Earn $2000 Referral Bonus

THIS IS AN UPDATE!

Retired Soldiers could earn a $2,000 bonus for referring someone with no prior military service (not an immediate family member) to an Army recruiter if that referral results in enlistment in the U.S. Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard. The Army is still working out the details of this bonus and is expected to put the policy into effect by early June. Under this program, referrals will be made via the Sergeant Major of the Army Recruiting Team (SMART) process. To receive a bonus, the retired Soldier making the referral must provide the name of the potential recruit before that person's interview with an Army recruiter.
    (Source: Military Report, Military.Com, June 6, 2006) http://www.military.com/MilitaryReport/0,12914,99502,00.html?ESRC=miltrep.nl
  2. KEN JENSEN

KEN JENSEN New Member

Is there a BONUS if someone goes to the other branches of Service (i.e. Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard)?

Also - Is a Grandfather eligible for the referral bonus for a grandson/granddaughter?

KEN
    DO NO HARM
  3. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

My reading of the eligibility criterea indicates that this is an exclusive Army program.

I believe that a referral must be made directly to the recruiter BEFORE the potential applicant has had ANY contact with any Army recruiter. You must advise the recruiter that you are making the referral with the intent of qualifying for the $2000 bonus. If the potential applicant has already made contact with an Army recruiter, all bets are off regarding the referral bonus.

I am not qualified to answer the 2nd part of your question....whether a grandson or granddaughter is considered an immediate family member. I encourage you to ask the local Army recruiter for an official determination..

I also seem to recall recently that the Army expanded the referral bonus eligibility to include Federal civilian employees; however, I did not record the source of that announcement. If you are a Federal civilian employee and you know someone who intends to enlist in the Army, it is worth your checking into the bonus eligibilty criteria. Ask an Army recruiter and ensure that he/she records your contact along with the date of contact and the name of the potential enlistee..

As an aside, I would hope that you would share any referral bonus with the enlistee's parents
  4. SFC Ret

SFC Ret New Member

Heck - IMO they should drop the no recruiting immediate family. Let's face it, all services are hard up to get anyone, would it really matter where they came from and who referred them? Look at the bonus money given today; you will note, that when we do not need recruits, they offer less money to join and the opposite happens when there is a big deficit as is now.

It's gotten to a point where recruiters are having a tougher time they are giving money out like candy.

I wish it were like that when I was in recruiting... lol we had to earn our kudos.
  5. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi Knewhart
    Maybe they should recruit old buggers like us. Think of the savings. No basic trainig. Weapons training for those who are only qualified on the M1 Garant lol. We would need much larger uniforms and they would have to waive all the running. What a wealth of experience. The insurgents would run away when they saw us. Immagine a squad of old fogies, armed to the teeth, machineguns mounted on electric wheelchairs (better than theHumvee). They would laugh so hard their aim would be spoiled and then we could charge and shoot them full of holes before they recovered. IED's would fail to injure anyone as they would go off bfore we got to the aimed spot (being older and a little slower). The only problem would be that we would have to enlist with the retired rank and there would be a sh*t load of senior NCO's arguing as to whom is in command,Lol. Think of the money we would save the government.
  6. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Guarango,You are so funny!!!! Some of us MOMS have thought we could end the war by sending us over to protect our children.That's the one time to get us brave and strong,protecting our children like a mama bear!!!! I doubt there are many women going to get any of that bonus.I might be able to think of some young guys I don't give a hoot about to send over.It's rough thinking of anyone right now.As much as I don't want my child over there(33) I have to admit that the Army,family life and the NG has made him a splendid male specimen and an honorable God fearing person.I'd never change one gray hair of that boy of mine.I'm so proud of him!!!! I consider him a hero just like I do you [email protected]@
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

[​IMG]

Hey Knewheart, I slipped my mug shot in amongst thoose Army geezers. Can you tell which one is me?
  8. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

You guys are totally too funny!!!!!That's why I keep coming back every day.
  9. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Not a problem, TCM. You gotta be popeye in the sailor suit!
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The U.S. Navy has a long tradition of elderly sailors. Check out these guys:

[​IMG]

"The Old Navy", photograph taken by Assistant Surgeon H.W. Whitaker, U.S.N., on board USS Mohican at sea in the Pacific, 1888.

The four men, with a brief transcript of their services, are:

1. Gilbert H. Purdy, who is standing addressing the others. Purdy was born in 1828, and therefore was 60 years old when the picture was taken. He was a physically powerful man and was remarkably well preserved, as is shown by the photograph. He died December 24, 1912, at San Diego, California, at the age of 84, being at the time of his death the oldest man on the retired list of the Navy. During the Civil War he served as sergeant in Battery K, 4th U.S. Artillery, and as a seaman on board several Naval vessels. He, also, had the honor of serving under Admiral Dewey on the Olympia during the Spanish-American War. He was transferred to the retired list on February 7, 1900. Purdy served as captain of the hold on board the Mohican from May 25, 1885 to August 28, 1888.

2. David Ireland, seated with arms folded. Ireland was born in 1833, and was, therefore, 55 years old when the picture was taken. He first enlisted in the Navy on April 8, 1850, so he had seen 38 years of service ... He served on many ships in all parts of the world and died at the Mare Island Hospital on January 16, 1894, aged 61 years. He served on board the Mohican from May 25, 1885, to November 20, 1890, as captain of the forecastle, seaman, and captain of the hold.

3. John King, seated on ditty box. King was born in England in 1834, so at the time the picture was taken was 54 years old. He followed the sea in merchant ships for a number of years before enlisting in the Navy, which he first did on April 9, 1875, he then being in his 42nd year. He was finally discharged on April 2, 1896, and admitted to the Naval Home at Philadelphia. He served on board the Mohican from May 25, 1885, to January 25, 1889, as chief gunner's mate. The exact date of his death is not known.

4. John T. Griffith, seated with hands behind his head. Griffith was born at Albany, New York, December 25, 1826, being 62 years of age when the picture was taken, and the oldest man of the group. The record of his first enlistment is not at hand, but he last enlisted on October 18, 1888, and was finally discharged on December 10, 1889. He served on board the Mohican as chief carpenter's mate from June 3 to June 30, 1888. The date of his death is not known.

If ya do the math the first guy, Gilbert H. Purdy would have been 72 at retirement.
  11. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

That is an interesting piece of History.You guys are just babes comparitively.Does anyone want to join the Navy now?
  12. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I actually took part in this program recently. To be honest, I would never recommend that a kid join the military right now, with two wars going on, I suspect that no matter what they tell you, your butt is going to be in Iraq or Afghanistan within 6 months. However, I have about 100 military articles on the Internet and I get a lot of mail from readers.

About a week ago I heard from an older guy who felt the need to defend his country and wanted to join before he was too old. I am good friends with the local recruiters because I always invite them to set up stations at our town fair. So, I sent the candidate's letter to the local army recruiter so he could get credit. Instead, he wrote back to me and said that I should put the name in myself and possibly get a cash prize. I didn't want the cash, but I liked the idea of being part of the program so I signed up and forwarded the candidate's information. I have heard nothing since and don't know if he was accepted or not. I did feel like it was an interesting experience though. I am now a member of the "SGM of the Army Recruitment team" or some-such thing.
  13. GreenBeret

GreenBeret New Member

Bertf, you are now part of what called the "SMART" team. (SGM of the Army Recruitment Team.) Congratulations and welcome aboard. I know of retirees who make a substantial income from doing referrals of young people in joining the Army/Army Reserves.
  14. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member