S/C for Drug Dependency for a S/C injury?

Discussion in 'Disability' started by galveteran, May 22, 2007.

1. galveteran

galveteran New Member

I have been taking valium for approximately 15 years for a S/C disability and the medication is prescribed by the VA doctor. The amount of the drug is increased to be effective. I also take pain medication (naroctic) on a regular basis.

I am addicted to these drugs because of the long term use, but I must still take the drugs to function half way normally and to be comfortable.

Is my drug addiction service-connected? If it is, what percent of disability rating does the VA award.

I've looked through the CFR 38 but cannot find anything related. Could someone please give me some information or direct me to the information?

Thanks..........Susan
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Complications of medications can be service connected secondary to whatever you take the meds for. I doubt you will find anything in CFR about this because having to take narcotics isn't compensable but any condition that causes a disability is. Lets say you are a diabetic and the VA prescribes a drug that harms your kidneys. You submit a claim for renal failure rather than drug use. I doubt addiction is compensable but any problem caused bu the addiction would be. So my question is what disabling condition do you have and will a medical professional diagnose you with it?

The VA is very careful about prescribing addictive drugs. I'm surprised you were allowed to get to this point. Does your VA doctor know you are addicted?
  3. galveteran

galveteran New Member

I had a portion of my spinal bone removed due to a tumor. Scar tissue pressure on the spine, nerve root and right leg spasms with partial neropathy is what is left after the surgery to remove the tumor. I will always have phatom pain, but I also have real pain. My leg spasms so much when trying to sleep I, literally, kick myself to the point of bruising, because I just pass out from being so tired. Taking the valium assists greatly in getting regular sleep in a proper daily cycle. But I've been taking it for so long that my dose has increased and increased because it takes more medication to get the spasms under control.

I do take pain medication and the VA gives me regular, monthly supply of pain medication. I told my doctor that if I try not to take the pain medication or reduce the medication I get what I consider withdrawal symptoms, sweats, shakey..etc. The doctor told me not to worry about it, but I do worry about the addiction or dependency.

If by some miracle a medical breakthrough in the treatment of my pain comes available, without taking drugs, I want to get off the drugs. There is some trials going on with shock implants that deaden the pain. The trials are showing some great results on certain patients. I would love to have a small machine in my pocket that sends impluses to implants that cut the pain and no medication.

The above statements are the reason I'm asking about S/C for the drug dependency. I would have to have medical treatment (supervision) to scale off the medications.

Thanks for any information or assistance you can advise me concerning this question.........Susan
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I don't believe being addicted is and of itself compensable. Complications of that addiction would be compensible. Your assertations you are addicted are meaningless. You would need a doctot to say you were. I'm not hearing that in this instance. The VA is Very serious about preventing veterans from becomming adicted. I know numerous veterans complaining about being taken off controlled substances and having other drugs substituted even though they didn't control the pain. Did your doctor diagnose you with an addiction?