SSDI Family benefits

Discussion in 'Social Security' started by 3idTanker, Jun 15, 2008.

1. 3idTanker

3idTanker New Member

I was approved for SSDI and should receive my first check in July. I got letters from SS stating that my 3 children would receive $254 each. I will be getting $1,529 per month. My question is shouldn't my wife be getting a check too? My kids' ages are 17, 17 and 8. I thought that my wife got HALF of my check and my kids got 1/3 of 1/2 of my check. A buddy of mine told me that my wife and kids COMBINED receive 1/2 of my check. I'm going to call SS tomorrow but I was just curious if someone knew which formula SS used. Thank you. :confused:
  2. rainvet

rainvet New Member

3idTanker, I do not believe your wife will be able to get any benefits until she become disable herself or reach the age of your prescribe times. I'm also SSN disable and have been for many years now but my wife isn't able to rec'd benefits until she turn 62 I believe but is able to rec'd SSN disable if every need.

We have been married for 41 yrs and was married before I was drafted into the Army and right out of high school. Now unless they have changed, she will fall under the same plan which I don't understand why being a house wife who has taking care of 7 children's and had to endure a person who has always been Ptsd since coming back from Vietnam.

If all be said and told, she deserve the benefits more than I would ever because all the hardships she has to go thru because of my Military time taken away from her early.

I'm also 100% DAV for Ptsd and she is cover on insurance called ChampVA which isn't a very good plan and not much useful for regular medicial need for today cost.

Now I would still check because things do change without notice and good luck and I'll be pulling for you and your wife. .......................... RainVet !
  3. 3idTanker

3idTanker New Member

RainVet,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you 100%. I believe ALL spouses should receive some compensation because they are the ones dealing with raising children, paying bills and being a mother AND a father when we are deployed. God bless.:)
  4. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi Guys
    Does any one know a phone no. for social security office? I cannot use the 800 numbers as I live in Spain and the phones here will not connect to 800 prefix numbers. Thanking you all in advance.
  5. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

This is probably to late to help you any but here's the contact for Spain.

Spain
    Federal Benefits Unit
    American Embassy
    Serrano 75
    28006 Madrid
    Spain
    Phone: 34-91-587-2261
    Fax: 34-91-587-2260

Sgt D