Stand Down, Pittsburgh PA 2008

Discussion in 'Homeless Veterans Information' started by spg1968, Jul 18, 2008.

1. spg1968

spg1968 New Member

Veterans Leadership Program (http://www.vlpwpa.org) in conjunction with the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System, Allegheny County Department of Human Services and other various service providers will hold a Stand Down for Homeless Veterans on Saturday August 23 2008 from 8am - 430pm at Shepherd's Heart 13 Pride Street Pittsburgh PA 15219.
    Available services will include general healthcare (eye, dental, blood pressure, etc), health screenings (TB, Hep C, HIV), prescription refills, VA benefits enrollment, employment assistance, legal assistance, hair cuts, housing assistance and other social services. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided.
    For more information, you can email: [email protected]
  2. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

No offense ... but I have to wonder the plus side to these Stand Downs. Most of the NSO's don't have computers to access information for fear of keeping the Homeless Veterans away. How many of these Homeless Veterans weren't Homeless Veterans..... "I know... if we just get ONE..". Perscription refills???? Meaning they were getting service at the VA???? Or do they get a years worth of meds at a time???? I may not have all the info.... I understand, but I have so many unanswered Questions about the plus side of this program.

Don't be mean..... I am just offering my own observations. I have seen the Stand Down in Erie and they seem to have closed it down ... unless my info is wrong. How many Stand Downs do we have in PA .... which cities...? Is this the best use of resources? In this time of limited donations, is this a good thing? I am only speaking on the Veterans Side of this equation. Do we depend on the other Social Services for info on the individual Veteran???? Or do we have to take it all ... word of mouth? I know I am NOT the only Veteran who thinks this way. I fell into a time where even mentioning I was a Veteran would mark a rejection on a job application.... at a time, the VA was IFFY at best. , but now the doors are open and the hands are there to help.... I do not see why anyone would be worried about verification they were a Vet. I think the Whole of the VA system has improved greatly in the past decade or so. Then again... this is my opinion.