TDIU & PTSD increase

Discussion in 'Disability' started by Ruffcreek, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Ruffcreek

Ruffcreek New Member

I'm hoping someone can give their opinion as to what my chances are of getting an increase in PTSD and IU from the information from my C & P exam which was done on May 21, 2008.

[My GAF was 55 and I was given 50% for PTSD in September 2006.]

TESTS
    DEGREE OF SEVERITY OF PTSD SYMPTOMS BASED ON PSYCHOMETRIC DATA: Severe

AXIS I: PTSD, chronic.
    AXIS II: No personality disorder diagnosed during this interview.
    AXIS III: SC for DM II, malaria, impaired hearing, tinnitus.
    AXIS IV: Moderate.
    AXIS V: GLOBAL ASSESSMENT OF FUNCTIONING.
    Score: 50
    Comments: He reports severe level of symptoms in almost all of the 17th specific symptoms for the diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder.

PSYC SUMMARY
    CHANGES IN FUNCTIONAL STATUS AND QUALITY OF LIFE SINCE LAST EXAM: Performance in employment, routine responsibilities of self-care, family role functioning, physical helath, social/interpersonal relationships, recreation/leisure pursuits.

STATE PROGNOSIS FOR IMPROVEMENT OF PSYCHIATRIC CONDITION AND IMPAIRMENTS IN FUNCTIONAL STATUS: His condition has incrreased in severity from the time of the previous compensation and pension image two years ago. He initiated treatment in February of 2008.

PTSD REVIEW: EFFECTS OF PTSD ON OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL FUNCTIONING
    IS THERE TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT DUE TO PTSD SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS? Yes
    EXAMPLES AND PERTINENT SYMPTOMS, INCLUDING THOSE ALREADY REPORTED: He has severe symptoms and is participating actively in treatment at the VA PTSD clinic. He is still early in treatment so is not possible at this time to make a realistic assessment in our treatment might diminish the present high level of PTSD symptoms. His present level of symptom reporting would keep him from being able to function effectively in gainful employment.

I have been unemployed since Jan 2008. What additional information should I provide? I have heard that I will need a letter from my DR stating I cannot work. I am not sure that she would provide one. I am unsure of what further action I can take to help my case. If anyone has an opinion of the above or what I can further do I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Ruffcreek
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I don't have sufficient experience to comment on how your C&P exam would be evaluated, but I can tell you about IU.

You do if you are seeking IU

Then you will not be entitled to IU.

The problem here is that your disabilities don't appear to entitle you to 100% but you ask the VA to pay you at that rate anyway because you can't work. What is your basis for that? Because you say so??? I don't think that's gonna fly. That's why we have the requirement for a medical professional to make that determination. If your doctor won't do that, it's time to get a job.
  3. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi TCM
    In ref. to the info. I asked you about ref. IU and having a 60% combat related rating giving you 100% CRSC please have a look at the following site and see if I read it right. Defencelink.mil/prhome/docs/CRSC_guidance_104.pdf. Letme know what you think of it. They do state this issue there.
    Best regards
    Frank
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Oh, I see. That's way old news. Note the date. It was part of the origional legislation for CRSC (CRSC I). The 60% refers to the minimum qualification necessary for qualification for any compensation. That was done away with by CRSC II which was part of NDAA 2004 (I Believe) Since then 10% is minimum necessary.
  5. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Thanks TCM

Now I feel a real idiot. Thanks though for your help. I did not note the date mate. What a dumb ass. Lol. I'm loosing my legal edge after all these years.
    Best regards
    Frank
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Not your fault. You couldn't have known it was superceded by the date alone. Fortunately I remembered some of the CRSC history and how things came about. CRSC I was authorized by NDAA 2002 and required you be 60% disabled before eligibility to CRSC was granted. That was superceded by CRSC II authorized under NDAA 2004. There was some lecislation prior to CRSC but I forget the details. Having said that, I don't know much about the CRSC details because I chose CRDP over CRSC.
  7. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi TCM

Again thanks for your prompt reply. We all owe you a greqat debt for all your help. And if a few think you are grumpy at times cause you give them a straight or accurate answer they do not want to hear...Bugger them!

Cheers Mate
  8. Ruffcreek

Ruffcreek New Member

Increase

Got my white envelope on Monday. Went from 60% to 100% (Not P & T but still happy).

Thanks to the Veteran's forum for all the information regarding claims, etc.

Ruffcreek