Thailand Vets

Discussion in 'Agent Orange' started by daleisok, Jul 27, 2004.

1. daleisok

daleisok New Member

I am looking for any vets that was originally stationed in Thailand and have visited Viet Nam either with orders or without. Also, those that went through Viet Nam on their flight over. I was stationed in Ubon 66/67 but I have actually been in country 3 times. One of those was when I first came over. This would be all that is required to prove AO exposure.

There is a lot of us that are suffering the same problems as those that were stationed in country. There is also proof coming to light that AO was probably used in other places, like Thailand.

Thanks

Dale Bishop
    8th TFW
    Aircraft Sheetmetal Tech
  2. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Have you looked at the Proof of Service Site - Viet Nam, that can be reached by clicking on the word links at the top of this page, and it is listed on this page under other Veteran resources. Hope this helps.
  3. sdp69

sdp69 New Member

Flying there.

When we left the states on th C-141 we were told that we would make several stops, one of them in Viet-Nam. We were told that we would receive combat pay for that month because we landed there and deplaned to off load men and dogs. We got the pay. I contacted the Air Force records and was advised that there was no way for me to obtain copies of these records because they were stock piled some place and no one would be allowed to take the time to look them up. What kind of deal is that. In order for me to prove that I was there I need these records and no one is willing to help. Anyone have any ideas.

sdp69
  4. stumpy

stumpy New Member

sdp69, I assume you are trying to establish that you have become ill from one of the presumtive conditions as listed by the VA for RVN service. If I was in your situation, and I was told that the records were available, but no man power was available to get them, I would contact my Congress Person in a heart beat.
  5. Vet44

Vet44 New Member

I served in Thailand from Nov 63 til Dec 65. I later served in Vietnam from Aug 65 til May 63, which was my ets. I have several medical problems and currently have a claim in appeal in DC. I'm covered as an in country vet, but my concern is that I was exposed to agent orange in Korat, Thailand during my tour there. I was assigned to the 9th Logistical Command (B) in Korat. Am I the only one out here with medical problems from that time line?
  6. bcleif

bcleif New Member

agent orange in thailand

If you need resources, check VSPA.com. Taura King and others have done lots of research on Thailand exposure. File a claim if you have not done so. If you were stationed at Takli Air Base, and you have photos or other evidence, let me know. Thanks, BCLEIF
  7. RBobo

RBobo New Member

I was also stationed in Ubon 66-67 and am looking for evidence of exposure to chemicals there. I have developed prostate cancer, type II diabetes and a heart condition. Thanks
  8. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I am under the impression that being stationed in Thailand you are now entitled to the same VA benefits as those stationed in Vietnam. Didn't they just include the AF in Thailand and the Navy off the shores of Vietnam? I know the VA is fighting it, but weren't they ordered to treat all the same way?
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Folks:

The current status is the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims has overturned the VA's OGC 27-97 which effectively require incountry service to qualify for AO presumption. The Secretary of the VA has issued a stay order until after the DoJ appeals the CAVC decision.

At present, the VA will accept claims, but will not process them until after the appeal process has run it's course. One of the Service Organizations has applied for a Writ of Mandamus to force compliance but there's nothing on that yet. I've also heard several sources suggesting the DoJ has various drop dead dates to submit the appeal, One has been 7 Nov and another was sometime in Feb. I haven't had the time to do the research to determine the facts so I can't speak with any assurance to that.

If the process is at all similar to the Smith v Nicholson appeal of bilateral tinnitus, we simply won't hear a thing till it's over.

None of this has anything to do with direct claims of AO exposure. If you have evidence of exposure and a diagnosis of a condition known to be caused by dioxin, you can have your claim processed.
  10. Smando

Smando New Member

I was at Udorn '73-"74 and worked in an area which was obviously defoliated. I have since had prostate cancer,Type II diabetes, Hypertension, and possibly
    CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia). The VA recently denied my claim for compensation due to Agent Orange exposure. HELP!!!
  11. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The National Veterans Legal Service Program recently won a suit (Haas v Nicholson) at the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims which essentially required the VA to recognize the Vietnam Service Medal as sufficient proof of Vietnam Service but the VA has appealed to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Oral hearings were held 7 Nov 07 but there's been no decision.

Until the decision is handed down, there will be no claims granted based on VSM. There's nothing to be done until this issue is resolved.

On the other hand, It is possible to be service connected for conditions recognized as caused by herbicide exposure. What you have to do is prove AO was used somewhere and then prove that you were exposed to it. That is a very tall order but there have been successful claims for veterans in Thailand, Okinawa, Guam and at least one site in the U.S. I don't know how you would do that but I'd recommend you try to find out who they are and ask.
  12. Retirede9

Retirede9 New Member

Takli Vet

Dale,

My name is Dick Kavalauskas and I was stationed at Talki from May 1969 through April 1970. In September 2009 I was diagnoised with high grade, invasive bladder cancer. I had twelve weeks of chemo treatments, spent four days in ICU for blood clots in both lungs and finally I had surgery in Feburary 2010 to remove my bladder. Only recently did I find out that Agent Orange may have been used at Takli. I had only heard of it being used in Vietnam. I am currently snowbirding in Florida until April but I intend to file a claim with the VA in Dayton Ohio when I return. Any advice/information you can give me at this time would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail here in Florida is [email protected] and [email protected].com in Ohio.

Thanks

Dic

13. MANORPERSON

MANORPERSON New Member

Dale
    My name is Paul Gutowski and I was stationed in the missile shop at Ubon ,1967-1968. I had prostate cancer, heart disease, and I am pre diabetic. I also stopped in Viet Nam on my way back from a tdy mission in the phillipines,sept. of 67 but no record. I was denied on my claim and just filed an appeal, after reading all the letters in the different forums my mind starts to spin from all the different ways they have to deny you. When I was a little younger I felt fortunate that I didn't suffer the loss of limb or anything from my service but as I get older I become very angry at the way Thailand vets are treated. We went where they told us to go and did what they wanted us to and this is how we are treated? Oh well enough of my ranting, I just wanted to answer your request for other Thailand vets to respond.