The Enemy Within

Discussion in 'PTSD' started by TinCanMan, Jul 20, 2008.

1. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

2. whiskeymedic

whiskeymedic New Member

Seems to me, based on the high suicide rates that PTSD counseling and/or attendance to support groups should be REQUIRED somehow - Even in my own ptsd situation, only my Father did anything to help me - none of my friends or relatives did anything at all - sure, they tried to get me to go out and do things, but after multiple rejections from me, they disappeared like 'gooks in the jungle"
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The problem with that is the law precludes anyone from requiring another person submit to medical treatment without a court order.
  4. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

PTSD support groups----- Ptsd Counseling --- Being required ????
    Come on ...Get real.. After dealing with PTSD for 36 years I can straight from the heart tell you guys this..I`ve had counselers/ doctors/ therapist that made my condition worse due to the fact they didn`t have a clue as to what they were doing. Sure they had a title, certificate, degree,etc....but they still were in left field. Way out..in left field.
    Same with support groups... I have been in good ones and others that were knock down drag outs with moderaters that were lost to the world. NO -ONE (PTSD) should be forced to attend either.. This has caused more harm than good to some . I`m a living witness to this. Forcement can make conditions worse.

No-one (with PTSD) should be forced to attend anything period...or forced to recieve treatment. This is something that the person/patient has to do on his/her on. There has to be a WILL to get treatment for it to be of any benefit what so ever.

So...whiskeymedic....think about this..the divorce rate among PTSD veterans is the highest of any group of people in this country. Does that mean every married person/vet with PTSD should be forced go to marriage counseling ???? When I did my in-patient PTSD program there were 28 vets in the clinic and 24 were divorced . Some were even on their 2`nd , 3`rd or even 4`th marrige since discharge.
    Ok out of time ,