The Severity Of Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by C-1/7MARINE, Mar 26, 2008.

1. C-1/7MARINE

C-1/7MARINE New Member

When I first filed my claim I knew nothing more than the symptoms I was experiencing from DMII and Peripheral Neuropathy. After the initial exam I was diagnosed. Blood test for DMII was conclusive for a 20% award, but the pin prick test my primary care doc gave me and what I described only concluded I was suffering from PN. What it did not show was the "SEVERITY".
    I was awarded [4]10% for each upper and lower extremities. My mistake was minimizing my symptoms to my primary care doc and also not doing my own research about PN. I had lost dexterity and coordination in my hands and legs along with the constant numbness and burning, sharp stabbing pain. Walking became difficult and my guitar playing days were far and in between. I finally got my PC doc to hear my complaints and he made an appointment to have neurology testing done. Now the EMG was a cakewalk and it showed how much damage had been done. The pin prick test they performed was right out of the CIA torture book, the things we have to go through to get what we deserve. A year after I filed my Reconcideration I received 50% upper right, 40% upper left, 30% lower bilateral. With my DMII and PTSD I am 100% P+T. I encourage all of you who are filing a claim for PN to educate yourselves about the differences of the symptoms and to see a neurologist . ONWARD, THRU THE FOG SEMPER FI
  2. CEDAR FALLS

CEDAR FALLS Member

I always wondered about that I was awarded 50% ---20% for type 2--20% for lower left and 20% lower right and 10% for macular edema combined is 50% they never tested for upper
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Folks:

A couple of things here. If you don't make a claim for a condition, it is unlikely you will receive consideration for it excepting if the VA Regional Office has information indicating you have a disability. Despite the fact the VARO's now have access to some VAMC medical records, they aren't obligated to go searching for possibilities.

The bottom line is if you want consideration for a disabling condition, it is up to you to make the claim.

PN is a very difficult condition to evaluate. The criteria set out in 38 CFR 4.124a are very subjective and are dependant on your PCP explaining how disabling your condition is. Very few PCP and Private physicians understand how to phrase it in terms a decision maker can use to decide where you fit. The C&P examiners know exactly what the decision makers want and know how to give it to them. There are worksheets outlining the requirements but at the moment, I don't have a good link to them.

The rating criteria in 38 CFR 4.124a is hard to understand. It depends on the particular nerve group/s involved. Usually Diagnostic Codes 8515 - 8518 for PN, whether the dominant or non-dominant hand or whether the paralysis is complete or incomplete. Now for the subjective part; If the paralysis is incomplete, whether it is considered Severe, Moderate, or Mild. Which of those catagories it fits into is a medical decision and VA decision makers cannot make medical decisions. The medical professionals must lay it out so it is clear to the decision maker where you fit.

If you feel you were evaluated incorrectly, make sure your doctor knows exactly what to say and file a NOD if it has been less than a year since your award or file for an increase based on new and material evidence if older than that.

Here's the worksheet for Peripheral Nerves.
  4. C-1/7MARINE

C-1/7MARINE New Member

Thanks for explaining it better to everyone. Although I only described symptoms in my initial claim, I did file a claim for PN, within one year of the first, after receiving the diagnosis. I was retroed back to date of claim relating only the symptoms. Maybe VARO gave me a gift. The only point I was trying make here is, if one is suffering from PN one needs to describe symptoms w/out minimizing, because of our high tolerance for pain, and to receive a correct diagnosis. Thanks for all the info.
  5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I think the VA simply gave you what you were entitled. There is this concept of an implied claim. Even though you make no formal claim for tinnitus, if somewhere along the line the RO becomes aware of a compensable condition, they are obligated to make an award. Perhaps it was something you said in your original claim or maybe something the C&P examiner turned up. The original decision maker may have overlooked this but when you made the formal claim for PN, it became obvious from the record.

In my case, back in 1980, I made a formal request for hearing loss. During the C&P the examiner asked about noises that I might have in my head. I told him about noises that sounded like a backup alarm and others that sounded like a telephone ringing. I thought no more about it. When the decision came back, I got 0% for hearing and 10% for tinnitus. Had to look it up as I had no idea what it was. Never did understand why they made that till I started getting involved in veterans issues.
  6. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

How was you able to obtain 10% in 1980 when the reg's didn't change until 1999 to award 10% unless you had a bad head injury, concussion or acoustic trauma. You couldn't have got this just from a C&P for hearing loss unless you stated it in your claim that one of the above had happened to you.
    If you were able to obtain this in 1980 then please expain how for I was service connected in 1990 for Tinnitus at 0% and only received the 10% when I filed for it in 2004.

"At the time the veteran was granted service connection for tinnitus and prior to June 10, 1999, the only [DC] to address tinnitus was [DC] 6250 [sic], which allowed a compensable (10%) rating for tinnitus only if it was persistent and resulted from a head injury, concussion, or acoustic trauma. See 38 C.F.R. § 4.87a, [DC] 6260, effective prior to June 10, 1999. On June 10, 1999, [DC] 6260 was amended to provide that service-connected tinnitus would be rated as 10% disabling if recurrent. See 38 C.F.R. § 4.87, [DC] 6260, effective on and after June 10, 1999. The current [DC] 6260 also noted that a separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under [DCs] 6100, 6200, 6204 or other [DCs], except where tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those [DCs]. See 38 C.F.R. § 4.87 [DC] 6260, effective as of June 10, 1999."
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I never asked. Perhaps an anologous rating. I didn't worry about it. Every month I got a check for somewhere around $60/mo. BFD I went out and got a job and forgot about it. I still have the job and the 10% and still don't worry about it.
  8. kaneohebay

kaneohebay New Member

I was awarded 20% for Left Upper extremity, Moderate, non-dominate. Residual from stroke.
    Symptoms: pins and needles and numbness from elbow to finger tips. to prepare for my C & P exam I researched VA appeals on the internet. VA appeals are public record and go into great detail. I further broke it down to those who won an award on appeal. I then made notes to assist the examining doctor to
    explain how this related to my service.
  9. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member

10. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member

11. akshay ortho

akshay ortho New Member

I used to suffer with plantar fasciitis, heel spur and Morton's nueroma. Now I can walk all day and my feet and legs never hurt or get tired. Recently my old favorite dress shoes but the dust. I will be replacing them with a Orthofeet dress shoe. It's so wonderful to not have hurting feet. I love these shoes! They feel great and look great! They are my 5th pair of orthofeet.