Throat Cancer

Discussion in 'Cancer' started by Donna, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Donna

Donna New Member

My husband was just diagnosed as having Precancerious Tumors on his vocal cords. he will have surgery on tuesday the 29th .I am wondering if anybody else has had this condition.
    Thank You
    Charles & Donna
  2. K1QVA

K1QVA New Member

Don't have it but wanted to wish you both the best. I will say a prayer for his safe recovery.

VR
    Ron
  3. SSGTVOL

SSGTVOL Super Moderator Staff Member

Donna,

I have no idea what you must be going through but I wish you and yours the best. Hope all goes well!

Vol
  4. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

Donna,

I wish you and Charles the best of luck. Let us know how everything goes.
  5. Ms B

Ms B New Member

Donna,

Hang in there--our thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Lois
  6. Donna

Donna New Member

Thank you all. I will let you know about the surgery next week. We appreciate the prayers.
    Thanks
    Charles & Donna
  7. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Charles & Donna you will be in my prayers also.
  8. Donna

Donna New Member

well he had the operation. It is cancer.Luckily it has been caught early. We will know next week when the biopsy gets back what kind of treatment .you all just keep us in your prayers.
    Thank You
    Donna & Charles
  9. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Donna, you and your husband are in my prayers daily.
  10. Donna

Donna New Member

Cancer

Well it is cancer and it is worse than thought. Charles start radiation treatment Monday. He has Squamous Cell Carcinoma. It has been caught early. Thanks for all the prayers. I believe everything will work out in the long run.
    Thanks
    Charles & Donna
  11. slapyo

Sorry to hear about that Donna. You and Charles hang in there and everything will work out for the best like you said.
  12. Donna

Donna New Member

Cancer

Hello,
    charles had his mask made today so he can get started on radition treatment. They are very positive this can be cured with this treatment. It has a 90% cure rate. He will be going 5 days a week for 6 to 7 weeks for this.
    i f this doesnt do it then they will have to remove voice box. Appreciate all the prayers and please keep them coming.
    Thanks
    Donna & Charles
  13. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Well Donna, how has Charles been doing with his radiation treatments. He is still in my prayers daily.
  14. slapyo

Donna,

Any updates with you and Charles? How are you guys doing?
  15. babyduck16r

babyduck16r New Member

Hello Donna
    I hope your husband is doing fine.I read thread when you first post and i being praying for you and your husband and i know you are going through a lot so hang in there because he is being treated and that is a plus.
    My best friend who is a vietnam veteran same as myself and 100% service connected for ptsd was having problems with his stomach and vamc did EXRAYS on his stomach and a big spot show up on his pancreas and they thought it was a tumor. He was shedule for surgery in B'ham vamc Sept 16,but due to IVAN had to cancer and i drove him to B'ham on Tuesday the 21st and the next day they did surgery and instead of tumor on pancreas,it was fliud leaking from cancer in his throat and back,nothing doctor could do but sew him back up,they brought him home last friday and he is now being taken care of by hospice.He is in good spirit but,it is very hard for me to talk to him knowing that he is in his last days.We been friends ever since grade School almost like brothers and i love him very much.Donna let us know how your husband is doing and iwill keeping praying for him and i will keep everyone updated on my friend.
    babyduck
  16. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Donna ; I hope your husband is doing fine.I read your message at the top
    of your post and I'll keep own praying for you and your husband . GOD is a Great and I'll seek his will for you and your husband and may by the grace of the LORD your Husband will recover. I Just wanted you too know that you both are in our hearts and prayer . RainVet !
  17. mike miller

mike miller New Member

Hi Donna, I had throat cancer in 1995. It was squamous cell carcinoma and i had a larynjectomy followed by radiation. I was in Korea and think the AO may be to blame. I will be praying for you both..
  18. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

For Mike Miller

Mike
    Here's some info on Agent Orange in Korea. Hope it helps.

Agent Orange

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Korea, DoD released information showing that Agent Orange or other similar herbicides were used in 1968 and 1969 near the demilitarized zone. VA expanded eligibility for Agent Orange Registry in 2000 to include those veterans who served in Korea in 1968 or 1969.

In August 2001, the Registry was further opened to include all veterans who were exposed to AO or other herbicides during testing, transporting, or spraying of these herbicides for military purposes.

DoD records revealed that about 21,000 gallons of AO were sprayed in Korea, apparently only by Korean servicemembers during those years in an area near the DMV. Although the ROK troops did the actual spraying with U.S. military personnel supervising, there are concerns that some U.S. servicemembers may have been exposed. About 80,000 U.S. servicemembers were stationed in Korea at some point during the 2 year period.

VA medical centers now provide AO Registry examinations to veterans who served in Korea during 1968 or 1969 who request the examination. Veterans who served in Korea during other time periods are not eligible, unless they were involved in the activites described in the 3rd paragraph above.

Vietnam-era veterans who served in Korea are not eligible for the presumptive disability compensation program established for those individuals exposed to AO in Vietnam. The policies described in the article do not cover disability compensation or access to priority health care.

Veterans who served in Korea during 1968-69 who wish to participate in the examination program should contact the nearest VA medical center to request an appointment.

Questions about the AO Registry examination program should be directed to the Environmental Health Clinician, previously known as the Registry Physician, or to the Environmental Health Coordinator, formerly called the Agent Orange Registry Coordinator, at the nearest VA medical center.

I hope this is of some help. Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by knewheart : 08-31-2005 at 11:46 AM.
  19. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

That's not entirely correct. The NDAA for FY 04 included language that authorized the VA to compensate, under AO presumption, certain Korea veterans stationed along the DMZ between April 68 and June 69. Here's a link to a VFW article explaining it. AO presumption in Korea
  20. rainvet

rainvet New Member

TinCanMan, just wanted you to know that my sister-in-law do as you think all people should do, and now she has lost her claim to SSN and food stamp just because she told them the truth. The A--H--- used her statment and her telling them the truth, more than dhe should have, and now it has cost her lost of benefits.

She has throat cancer and haven't worked in a most a year and between her dad and I, we have been footing her bill's because she hasn't recieved a pay check from her job in about 8-months or more. The Gov't used our help to her to turned down the help she was recieving because they claim she was recriving to mush help form us. All we have been doing is giving her another to meet her monthly bill's so she wouldn't lost her house and others things she own. That what happen when you deal with those A--H--- and that the very reason I tell people to be careful about what informatiom you give those damm Gov't A--H---. Now that we have giving all that we can afford, she has no income to pay her bill's nor any way to by food. I hope you will see why you don't give they those sorry no good for notting piss ants. So much for you being ; tell the truth, because all it does is get you trun down on your own words, unless of cource, your a illegal and them you get the farm and everything in between. Don't you ever tell me to be up front to the sorry baster anymore, cause your way is full of S---. RainVet !