Title 38 Schedule for Rating Disabilities

Discussion in 'Disability' started by stumpy, Jul 12, 2004.

1. stumpy

stumpy New Member

2. Mickey111

Mickey111 New Member

Hello Stumpy,

I'm very confused on this title 38, section: 4.25 combined ratings schedule. I currently have three disabilities one for 30%, 10%, and 10%. My overall rating is still 40% S/C. If you could help me I would appreciate this very much. Thank you.
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Mickey:

Disability is based on the whole man principle and the separate ratings are "combined" not added. Start with either bilateral awards, then highest rating. In your case you start with the 30%. Find it in the left most column. Then take the next highest, the 10% and find it along the top row. Where the row for 30 and the column for 10 intersect see 37%. OK, now find 37% in left row and the other 10% along the top. Where they intersect, see 43%. That's how disabled you are. The VA only compensates at even 10%'s. 43% rounds down to 40%. Thats how you are compensated. Is that clear as mud?
  4. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Unfortunately TinCanMan is absolutely correct about this VA math problem.
  5. USNPO2

USNPO2 New Member

Hello,

I trust someone can help answer this for me. I keep seeing so much on the IU issue being approved. Is this true, and if so would it go into effect Feb 1 2006 with retroactive pay or start at that point IF big IF it is actually approved. My understanding at this point is their is a verbal appoval but no termonology included in bill or amendment to actually provide these payments. I appreciate your help. thank you much.

Sincerely,
    USNPO2
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

PO2

What exactly is the question? What is it about IU that you want to know?
  7. johnboy

johnboy New Member

I have been diagnose with prostate cancel. I am a Vietnam vet. What kind of rating will be assigned for disability compensation?
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

If you served in country and have prostate cancer you can be awarded 100% during the active phase and while you are undergoing chemo or radiation therapy. If you elect surgery you will receive 100% untill you have recovered, abt. 3 mos. When your cancer is gone or is in remission you will be re-evaluated based on the residuals. I can't predict what residuals you'll have and in all probability, your doctor can't either. Most of the vets I encounter seem to have some sort of voiding disorder and ED but I don't know if that's typical as the only folks I see are the ones having problems. The residuals are a crap shoot, we'll know when its over. You may not have any residuals to evaluate and that would be a good thing.

Do you have medical insurance or are you already service connected for other conditions and can be treated in a VA Medical Center? Are you registered for VA medical care? Have you already filed a claim for PC? Do you need help doing that?
  9. johnboy

johnboy New Member

disability compensation

Thanks TinCanMan,

I have finish all of my treatment for pc. I took the seeds implant. I didn't understand the six months 100% rating following treatment. Since I posted my question, I had a discussion with a DAV Service Officer and Now I have a better understanding of the process.

Johnboy
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No problem, Hope the seed works out. From the folks I've talked with that proceedure leaves the patient with less side effects than surgery. Stick around and let us know how it works for you long term.
  11. dillion

dillion New Member

still havent heard anything from you guys,but will try again,filed a claim about 8 months ago for type2 diabetis,congested heart failure,poor kidney function and ptsd.the v.a. says its at the rating board,been there since september,do you guys have any ideal how much my rating will be,my diabetis is insulin,2 shots a day.i was in vietnam for 18 mos.navy.
  12. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

"You guys" I hope you understand that no one here works for the VA and that this forum is not affiliated with the VA. We are just private citizens with a bit of understanding, trying to help each other out. Based on the limited information you've provided it's almost impossible to speculate on how you are rated, we'd have to see pretty much your entire c-file including your doctors diagnosis and the C&P exam results.

Do you have a diagnosis of congestive heart failure? or one for poor kidney function or of PTSD. Have you submitted a PTSD stressor letter? Anything you might get is entirely contingent on exactly what the doctors have diagnosed you with and how they describe your condition.
  13. lacyben

lacyben New Member

Are you a member of a group for your PTSD? You can usually get a lot of support from those guys.
  14. George Rosado

George Rosado New Member

why is the percentage calculated that way
  15. George Rosado

George Rosado New Member

yes i am but they no as much as i do
  16. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

George:

Assuming you are asking why ratings are combined on the Whole Man Theory and not simply added up, I'd suggest it is because it is common practice for compensation claims in the insurance industry.
  17. DVOPIII

DVOPIII New Member

tuberculosis

STUMPY
    I'm new to you site. So far a great source of information as I work as a Vet Rep for the state of nevada in reno. I just found out I have TB this is an area I'm not familar with. I have had TB since 1972 I have filed a claim and am using DAV as my representative for all medical service connected claims. I'm currently at 30% SC. My doctor say's I still have TB and he has referred me to the contagious disease center for treatment. I do have scaring tissue in my right lung and it is calsified. I'm wondering if I should raise hell and see if they can back pay me to 1972 what do you think?
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

What exactly do you mean? You say you just found out you have TB but go on to say you've had it since 1972 ????

Did you tell the VA you had TB in 1972 or should they have been aware you did such as you were being treated by a VA doctor or facility in 1972?
  19. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Are they positive you have TB now?I do infection control at work which means I have to do TB tests on each new person admitted to our facility.Many of ourWW11 vets test positive.It usually means they have HAD TB in the past. or been exposed to it.The Dr.puts them on INH for 6 months and they and everyone around them is fine.The fact that they are no longer can also be evidinced by the fact that their wifes and families have never contacted it.Also that they show no symptoms.Immagrants often show up with positive tests.They do chest Xrays and put them on INH and they come right back to work.Just a little something to think about.
  20. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Gloria:

What's INH? Seems to me, I was told in another lifetime that some/most everyone had TB but it only activated in some and that once exposed, you always tested positive or at least positive in screenings. That may be an old wives tale but ISTM that's what we were told in school when one of my classmates came down with it. Can you discuss that? I haven't had a patch test since my school days or a chest xray since the early 60's when the Navy did them every year or two. What happened to that? Can you also tell us of common residuals after treatment and resolution?

Haven't thought of that stuff since the 60's. Now ya got me going.