Tonsil Cancer

Discussion in 'Cancer' started by Sgt D, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

I had this in 2001 and did the radiation for 7 weeks twice a day and took expermental chem once a week for 7 weeks. I had to have a feeding tube because the radiation messes up your ability to swallow anything but small amounts of some liquids. I survived on ensure and boost thru the tube for almost a year. The radiation burned out my salva glads and now I have to have a bottle of water with me 24/7. The VA says no way to agent orange connection. Guess that agent orange gets in folks lungs some other way than thru the mouth and nose. If anyone else has had this cancer I'd like to know how and what kind of treatment you received. Also please send an email to : [email protected]

Mary Burr Paxton, PhD, DABT
    Senior Program Officer
    Population Health and Public Health Practice
    Institute of Medicine
    Keck 871, 500 Fifth St., NW
    Washington, DC 20001
    (202) 334-1731
    fax: (202) 334-2939

She is collecting date for the Goverment on Tonsil Cancer and how it may be related to agent orange.

Thanks Sgt D
  2. SFC Ret

SFC Ret New Member

It is pretty hard to figure what you are trying to ask as you have never explained your history in the military and what you are getting at.... Figure that the Viet Nam War was over in 1975... Were you in Viet Nam?

The important factor question would be: Is the tonsil cancer service connected? A lot have been using the Agent Orange excuse thinking it would be the "catch all" for anything unexplained. You probably got shot down with your first request because you may have left out the service connection part out.

Do you have contact with any of your buddies that were in Nam with you? Would they attest that they were in the same area and or in contact with any Agent Orange substance?

The area of concern is small and yet semi-exposed, in the throat area which is generally moist. I bet they are wondering why you didn't develop lung cancer also since you probably had breathed in the fumes at the same time.

I am just guessing of course, but it does seem a bit far to convince anyone of it being service connected, especially to Agent Orange.

Good luck in your efforts and hope some thing comes about for you.
  3. SFC Ret

SFC Ret New Member

Do you smoke by any chance or have in the past, Sgt D? tia
  4. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

Funny you ask yes I do have lung cancer and yes I was in Viet Nam 69-70. I stayed in the Army and retired in 1990.

No I don't have contact with any of the folks I was in Nam with.

Yes I did smoke at one time alot of us back then smoked it was sort of a thing to help with the stress and the little packs in the C rations were a welcome site.

I may not ever get the Toncil cancer approved, but if that lady can collect enough data maybe it will help some over veteran later. Thanks for your reply. Sgt D
  5. Bojoni

Bojoni New Member

Sgt L.

In responce to your issue of tonsil cancer. I was in Viet Nam in 65-66. I also have tonsil cancer, went through radiation treatment, and chemotherapy. I know what you are talking about with the water bottle, My saliva glands are also gone. I am supposed to be going for a hyerbaric chamber session soon to try and heal an ulcer and a bare jaw bone infection caused by the radiation. Supposed to be 30 days in the chamber 2hr trips. I am also one that was turned down for service connection. They committed to fact that I was in the right time frame and area agent orange was sprayed. I have no history of Cancer on either side of my family, Mother or Father. I am service connected for sugar. Go figure!
    I'm still on a feeding tube, and probaly will be for quite a while longer, be a year in May.

Thanks Sgt L
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Bonjoni:

The reason you are service connected for Diabetes Type II is because it is on the VA's list of conditions presumptive to herbicide exposure. Your tonsil cancer and other cancers of the oral cavity are not. As a matter of fact, the Institutes of Medicine just published their biennial report "Veterans and Agent Orange: Update 2006" dtd July 2007.

If you check page 11 of the summary, It will show:
    "Inadequate or Insufficient Evidence to Determine Association

The available studies are of insufficient quality, consistency, or statistical power to permit a conclusion regarding the presence or absence of an association. For example, studies fail to control for confounding, have inadequate exposure assessment, or fail to address latency. There is inadequate or insufficient evidence to determine whether an association exists between exposure to the chemicals of interest and the following health outcomes that were explicitly reviewed:

Cancers of the oral cavity (including lips and tongue), pharynx (including tonsils), or nasal cavity (including ears and sinuses)

Cancers of the pleura, mediastinum, and other unspecified sites within the respiratory system and intrathoracic organs

Esophageal cancer (category change from Update 2004)

Stomach cancer (category change from Update 2004)"

The Agent Orange Act of 1991 required the VA to contract with NAS/IOM to perform these biennnial reports and to consider adding to the list of presumptive conditions any condition showing a positive link to herbicide exposure. So far, IOM has not found that positive link.
  7. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

Bojoni

(You Wrote)I'm still on a feeding tube, and probaly will be for quite a while longer, be a year in May.

I feel for you and the feeding tube sucks, damm lid will pop off and mess up everything. I had mine for right at a year and was really glad to get rid of it. I still have problems eating but at least now I don't have to survive on ensure and boost. I guess you know that the canteen at the VA hospital sells ensure for about $18.00 a case, I used to buy about 8 cases at a time. Sure beat WallyWorlds price.
    Yes the water bottle becomes a part of you and it's been 7 years now and the dry mouth is now a part of my everyday life.
    Did you file for Social Security Disability? I did and it took about 4 months to get it approved. I still have it, they tried one time to stop it but I fought them and kelp it.

I really hope the best for you and understand how, what and everything you are going thru. I thank you for the reply on here and hope that one day the VA will treat us right and gives us what we deserve. Ever want to send me an email or need a pep talk send it to [email protected] Take care and good luck to you and yours. Sgt D