tonsillectomy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by docshelton09, Sep 23, 2007.

1. docshelton09

docshelton09 New Member

cananyone explain if i can get disability benefits for a tonsillectomy. I have researched my army medical records and I have had strep throat for 20 years which began in the Army in 1987.
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I'm thinking that would be a stretch of the imagination. ...but, if your doctor will opine it is more likely than not your strep throat incurred in service necessitated your tonsillectomy and can provide a medically sound rationale for his opinion and you have post-operative residuals of surgery it is possible.

You would most likely have to prove that the strep throat you had in service was the same strep throat you had in later years. You would do that by showing a continuity of care for this condition over the years.

Understand, compensation is awarded for disabling conditions and not for having a medical treatment.
  3. Davie1950

Davie1950 New Member

hey there;
    I had my tonsill take out in the late 70's or early 80's but did not get any thing for any type of disabilty for it, and remove from the v.a. hospital, all it show that it was done, and nothing else...
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

That would be correct as it isn't considered to be disabling. You don't get compensation for having a medical proceedure or for having once been sick if there are no residuals.

Removal of a lung as a consequence of cancer would be disabling because of reduced capacity but there is no disabling residual for removal of tonsils or appendix.

Some got lucky and got a milk shake for lunch.