va appeal- emergency room payment

Discussion in 'Appeals' started by boogalee, Oct 16, 2010.

1. boogalee

boogalee New Member

went to emergency room in 2006, filed claim with va for payment. was turned down and appealed twice, last time asking for a hearing with the va board. Last contact with the regular appeal people was 2009 and was told it could take up to two years for a hearing with the board, is this normal or should I ask for someone else. I called the appeals people about a month ago and no reply, which happens often.Was denied payment because a va facility was available for use. Explained that it occured on a sunday, which no va clinic is open, nearest va hospital over 100 miles, was told I should have gone to va clinic on thursday or friday. Was under va care at the time for pain in stomach and given codine for pain and was told if I got fever or started vomiting to go to the emergency room, which I did. Any advice?
    Thanks
  2. SFC Ret

SFC Ret New Member

would it be possible to get a statement from the VA clinic to state that they are not open on Sunday or the day which you went there. That at least would indicate that though there was a VA clinic nearby, service was not available. Next I would try to get a statement from the doctor saying it was under emergency conditions that you were under. attach those statements with your claim.

I am not saying that it will guarantee you a refund, but at least it would make it clear that the VA clinics services were not available at the time it was needed.