VA Benefits for heart valve replacement

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kennybob, Apr 17, 2008.

1. kennybob

kennybob New Member

Hi. I am new to this website.

I recently (10 weeks ago) had heart surgery to replace a defective aortic heart valve, repair my enlarger aorta and install a pacemaker. I am recovering nicely.

I retired in 1984 with a 30% disability for the heart problem and have now requested an increase in my VA disability.

Has anyone had a similar surgery and gotten an increase in their disability %? If so, what was the increase?

Also, Was there any temporary 100% disability given for the surgery and recovery?

Thanks for any info you may have for me on this issue.
  2. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Shoot, I didn't get anything for the teflon aortic valve I received 10 years ago. The surgeon did give me a "life-time guarantee" though!

I didn't file for disability until 2002 (I think). Anyway, I couldn't prove it was service related as I had already retired in 1984.
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Sorry, missed your post last month. Didn't see it till Knewheart brought it up again.

Valve Replacement is evaluated under 38 CFR § 4.104, Diagnostic Code 7016: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/julqtr/pdf/38cfr4.104.pdf

Heart valve replacement (prosthesis):For indefinite period following date of hospital admission for valve replacement ....... 100

Thereafter:
    Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent ................. 100

More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in the past year, or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent ............................. 60

Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray .......................................... 30

Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous medication required ................ 10

NOTE: A rating of 100 percent shall be assigned as of the date of hospital admission for valve replacement. Six months following discharge, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of § 3.105(e) of this chapter

As far as the pacemaker goes, this would be evaluated under DC 7018 which eventually translates to either 7010, 7011 or 7015. These range from 10 to 100%. Since both the Valve and the Pacemaker implant are part of the same body system, you cannot have both awards concurrently. What you will wind up with is the worst case award.
  4. myam

myam New Member

I just last Tuesday had a heart catherization for a bad aortic valve. Am I going to be able to apply for any thing on my condition? I left service in 72. Is there a limitation on when you can get some disability rating? My doctor found my double echo during a physical some years back. My valve is calsifying and a valve replacement is on the way. 6 months or more down the road as he says. Are there any steps I should be moving on? I'm classified to go to a civilian physician because of the backlog at the clinic in Appleton,Wisconsin. I'd like to retire soon as well.