VA Diabetes Ratings

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by stumpy, Jun 26, 2004.

1. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

Vike17, How much compensation will one actually receive for smc"s"; and is that amount included in the exclamation of the decision.- Because, my decision only said,"we granted entitlement to smc effective such and such of date because you are housebound" - Do I have to apply for something at a later date or what?

Thanks for your imput.
  2. Vike17

Vike17 Member

zzvb08,

It all depends on if you're a single veteran or have a spouse/children. For example, if you're a single veteran, the total amount of compensation you would receive for the "S" award would be $2766.00 as opposed to $2471.00 which would be paid to just being a single veteran at 100%; a difference of $295.00. For the complete rates for SMS are here;

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp02.htm

Furthermore, there will not be any amounts of money written in the rating decision itself. The effective dates and amounts being paid should be listed in the cover letter of the rating decision.

What do you mean? Are you talking about applying for an increase in evaluation if your disabiliy(ies) get worse?? If so, the only way you could benefit by doing this is if your disability(ies) warranted a higher rate of SMC. Otherwise, there isn't anything to be gained by asking for an increase in evaluation in your situation.

Vike 17
  3. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

TinCanMan, Vike17 and/or Others: The followings are the actual statements in my entitlement letter. The #1 and #4 statements seem to me to be ambiguous or conflicting or is a (typo error in reference to my 100% eligibility date). Maybe I should call the VA for clarification; tell what you think:
    #1 " We assigned a permanent 100% disability evaluation for your serice connected disability/disabilities effective May, 2005."
    #2 "We granted entitlement to special monthly compensation effective May,2005 because you are housebound."
    #4 "Your overall or combined rating is 90% effective May,2005 and 100% effective October 2006."

My question is what is the effective date to receive 100% disability( May 2005 or October 2006.

Thanks in advance,
    zzvb08
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Well, gotta say I don't think I have a clue about this. If it were me, I'd have my VSO call for clarification. Certainly looks like a contradiction. By any chance do you have another decision dated May 05?
  5. Vike17

Vike17 Member

I would have to second what TinCanMan said. The statement in #4 makes absolutely nosense in relation to the others.

Do you have one disability rated at 100% and others that combined to a total of 90%????? If this is the case, then maybe you have two effective dates, one for the 100% and one for the 90%, but the overall effective date for the SMC "S" went back for some reason to the earliest date of entitlement.

Your best bet is to get a hold of your SO and have them try to sort this one out.

Vike 17
  6. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This is for anyone who have the answer: The dept of veteran affairs representative gave me a (veterans' group life insurance application). Being granted 100% disabled; am I eligible for the above insurance. The criteria is not clear to me as to 100% disabled veteran. Can someone explain it to me. I would like to get it, if eligible.

Thanks in advance
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

You are eligible .AND. you are eligible to have the costs waived but you have to ask.
  8. adjdmint

adjdmint New Member

Did your letter mention anything about Individual Unemployability being granted May of 05? That means that in May of 05, your disabilities only totalled 90 percent, but they determined you were unemployable, and paid you at the 100 percent rate. Then, in October, one or more disabilities were added or increased in severity, to bring your total combined evalatuion up to 100 percent.
  9. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

Does anyone know the correct amount of compensation for a 100% disabled veteran: The VA rating chart shows 2772.00 for a veteran and spouse for 2008. Yet, the 2007 chart shows 2610. - At 2.3%, the 2008 amount should be 2670.00 for a veteran and spouse. Is the 2772.00 a typo for 2008 or what??
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Who knows, consider it a gift.
  11. adjdmint

adjdmint New Member

I suspect you have an additional amount of compensation being paid because of special monthly compensation. Example, if you have loss of use of a creative organ, you get an additional 80 or 90 dollars a month. So, in addition to being 100% disabled, you also get money for one or more additional considerations. Read your award letter or a copy of the rating the VA sent you, in one of the issues it should mention words like "Secial Monthly Compensation" (SMC), or words like "hoursebound" or "Aid and Attendance."
  12. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

Adjdmint, The 2772.00 I am talking about is not in reference to an award letter. The 2772.00 is posted on the Veterans Affairs website as (a 100% disability rating for a veteran and his spouse). - I am trying to discern whether or not the amount is correct or a typo. My calculations says it should be 2760.00, base on 2,3% increase.
  13. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that it's a bad entry. Whoever provided the figures may have had the wrong numbers or possibly they were transcribed by the html coder incorrectly. $h!t happens. The VA doesn't rely on these numbers to pay anyone. You'll know what it should be when you get your first check in Jan. In the meantime, don't go out and buy that new Mercedes. If it bothers you, send the webmaster a note.
  14. adjdmint

adjdmint New Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
  15. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi guys
    TCM. I was in Vietnam in1971. My Diabetes was diagnosed a year ago. Does that mean I can't claim it as service conected cause not manifested within the 1 year after service? I thought with Diabetes Melitus II it was a matter of presumption andno time limit for development of the condition. Thanks in advance
  16. Vike17

Vike17 Member

Guarango,

If you served in Vietnam and can show this by your DD 214, then DMII is a presumtive condition and can be awarded service-connection on that basis. Just fill out the VA for 21-526, attach your DD 214 showing service in Vietnam and treatment records showing you are diagnosed with DMII, and VA will award service-connection. In this case there is no one presumptive period after discharge.

Vike 17
  17. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Here's a clue, you stupid putz; I am a citizen and a taxpayer. It is every citizens duty to report criminal activity and speak out against those that advocate such activity. Fraud is a crime and anyone advocating it is no better than a common thief. You can bet the farm I will speak out against anyone advocating stealing from the people. Got it yet!!!

"There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance."
  18. jazz99

jazz99 New Member

So, is a person gets a rating of 50% for sleep apnea and 20 % for diabetes, what would the final rating be.
  19. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

50% combined with 20 % is 60%

You would be 60% disabled.
  20. jazz99

jazz99 New Member

What does Carpal tunnel syndrome fall under as far as ratings?