VA Diabetes Ratings

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by stumpy, Jun 26, 2004.

1. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This question is for anyone that has the answer. What is the guidelines for a disabled Veteran to receive the stimulus package: Will he or she have to file a 2007 tax return or will the government key off the fact that he or she is a disabled Veteran. -The criteria for most, is that a 2007 tax return must be filed. However some veterans only get disability benefits and/or social security benefits, and may or may not file a tax return. - So, what are rules to identify and send checks out to veterans.
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

It is evaluated under 38 CFR ยง4.124a. The specific diagnostic code will be determined by which nerve group is most affected. DC 8515 (Median nerve) or 8516 (Ulnar nerve)
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

It's my understanding that the checks will be based on 2007 income tax returns. No one has said how the determination will be made for disabled veterans or the elderly. It isn't just disabled veterans that don't file taxes but those on SS as well. The law says disabled veterans that didn't contribute to tax revenue will get a check anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. It will be the IRS's job to deal with the specifics.
  4. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This question is for anybody that has the correct answer: Can a veteran that is a 100% s/c disability attend school/college, on his or her own cost?
  5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Certainly. There are no bars to a veteran however disabled from getting an education at his own expense, but why don't you submit for Vocational Rehab and let the VA pay the freight? The only restriction under Voc Rehab is if the counselor determines education wouldn't return you to the workforce.
  6. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

TinCanMan, Will applying for school and rehabilitation monies spark new c and p examinations, etc. - I can't walk as well as I use to, because of neuropathy problems and severe pain. My old supervisory job required a great deal of walking. Therefore I want to go back to college and complete my degree in psychology that I started years ago. -Perhap I can teach school or something.-However being 100%, t & p, I am not sure as to what to expect by requesting to participate in the reha. process. Can you share your wisdom.
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I can't imagine a C&P for VocRehab but your counselor will determine if you will eventually be able to return to work force.
  8. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

Is there a propose change to VA compensation

This is for anyone that have the info: I read some confusing info concerning a change to disability veterans compensation at age 65. It appears that the proposal is to reduce disability compensation in line with social security and private formular of (age the proggression). Is this idea going to be implemented; if so when and how. Is there contemplated plans to Grandfather existing veterans prior to the rate cut or what? - If there is no substance to the above; then please explain how and why this rumor got started.

Thanks in advance
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

This is such old nonsense I no longer remember the details and have way too much to do to bother with it. It isn't true.
  10. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This question is for anyone: What are the rules for veterans getting reimbursed for travel to their regular VA medical appointments? Does travel mileage reimbursement apply to all medical appointments if the veteran's disability is more than 30%.
  11. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

12. barfinkl

barfinkl New Member

I didn't think you had to be diagnosed within a year of leaving service for it to be presumtive.
  13. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This is for anyone, What is the expected 2009 cost of living incresae for disabled veterans.
  14. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This is for anyone,
    What is the expected 2009 cost of living increase for disabled veterans.
  15. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

This question is for anyone,
    My wife has been receiving social security disability for chronic schizophrenia for several years. She also had neck bone infusion for dics problems: She has limited movement of the neck and chronic shoulder/arm pain.She has problems lifting and walking with two or more pounds. - By definition, would my wife be considered A/A eligible.
  16. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

17. zzvb08

zzvb08 New Member

Tincanman, I would appreciate getting your opinion on posting #176: also should I persue A/A for my spouse condition.
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I didn't respond to that because I don't feel comfortable discussing the various levels of SMC. Just don't have sufficient experience there.
  19. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I asked this question of a person in position to know and their response was that the criteria is exactly the same as for a veteran. For starters she would need to have at least one disability that would warrant a 100 percent evaluation based on the evaluation criteria set out in 38 CFR Part 4.

Only schizophrenia carries a single 100 percent evaluation and in order for A/A to be paid for this the evidence would probably need to show that she is incompetent and needs supervision for safety reasons.

The neck doesn't carry a 100 percent evaluation at all. With regard to the arms and legs, there would need to be some combination such as a 100 percent based on loss of use of both hands or a 100 percent based on loss of use of both feet. Otherwise, it will probably take an extremely liberal approach by the decision maker to grant A/A based on what you've said.
  20. meloney

meloney New Member

One of my friends had cervical cancer and was diagnosed 5 years ago. In the beginning, the doctor performed a pap smear, and from this, diagnosed her with cervical cancer. He gave her 5 to 8 years to live. But after researching cervical cancer, I discovered that cervical cancer was typically caused by HPV, that a biopsy must be performed in order to even diagnose this form of cancer, there are treatments, it's curable. So how can you trust on a doctor? Let me have your comments.