VA Info

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by inspector830, Sep 30, 2008.

1. inspector830

inspector830 New Member

I am new to this site and have a few questions. I was diagnosed with DMII around 2004 with PN of both feet. I filed today at the VA with my VSO and mailed the paperwork in. My question is, What percentage of disability am I qualified for? Will my Doctor's (primary care GP) diagnosis be good enough or will I be required to have a VA physical? Thanks for any info.
    Paul (82nd Airborne, Phu Loi, RVN 1969
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

If you are on oral meds or insulin, you will get about 20%. If your doctor has precluded you from strenuous recreational or occupational exertion, you might get 40%

In all likelihood you will have a C&P exam Mine consisted of 15 minuted of jaw jackin, a 24 hour piss test for keytones and a NCV or Nerve Conduction Velocity test for PN.
  3. inspector830

inspector830 New Member

Thanks Tincan man. I will keep you informed of my progress. I am on oral meds so looks like maybe 20 percent then.
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Oh, I forgot about the PN. Depending on what the doc says, probably about 10% each
  5. Weapons Guy

Weapons Guy New Member

Diabetes

I was diagnosed in 2006 with DMII this was 3 years after I retired, is it possible for me to recieve benefits for this? There is nothing in my medical records that leads up to DMII. I was once told that it had to be diagnosed within one year after retirement or separation from active service.

TCM what are your thought on this?
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The 1 year presumptive period after seperation is only one method. If you are a veteran with documented service within the land borders of the Republic of Vietnam, you can successfully prosecute a claim under Presumption of exposure to herbicide. DMII is one of the conditions for which the VA will concede both exposure and a nexus.

If you do not have such service, you will need to prove exposure and have a doctor say your exposure 'as likely as not' resulted in your DMII.