Va Iris System?

Discussion in 'VA Procedures' started by BajaMike, Jun 27, 2008.

1. BajaMike

BajaMike New Member

Have read on numerous boards about the VA's on line IRIS system where you can check the status of a pending claim - problem is - can't find a link to it anywhere! Not Google, Ask, or query on the VA main site.

In my case, my - I believe - well documented and well founded claim for an increase has been pending now for 256 days and it has been 104 & 93 days since my C&P exams. At my servicing VARO (San Diego) the Monday reports show 12.7% of claims are over 180 days. Why I'm in that small group is a complete mystery to me.

Have not bothered to call the 800 mumber (since it is a call center) and emails to the VARO requesting status are read (I have the return receipts) but not answered.

Maybe IRIS has something on the issue holding this up - or is the file propping up a table leg somewhere? At least it may tell me if the file isn't lost?

Someone with the link and willing to post it would certainly help reduce my frustration level at this point!

Thanks
    Baja Mike
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS)

I found it with one google search>>> "IRIS site:va.gov"

Why any particular claim takes as long as it does will depend on what you claimed, availability of evidence and workload at the RO among other factors.
  3. BajaMike

BajaMike New Member

Thank you for the link - I certainly couldn't find it (although, it "times out" when you try to send an actual inquiry - and I have DSL). I'll certainly try again later.

Plan "B" - I've downloaded the form and am applying to the GAO for a public use permit and will sit outside of the processing facility under an umbrella with my rolling "days" count very prominently displayed until they find the short table leg my file seems to be holding up - wonder if the media in this very pro-military town (San Diego) might be interested?

Something I learned a very long time ago on a different continent, keeping the faith sometimes is very difficult - and the meek certainly may inherit the earth - but the tenacious survive.
    Mike
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No one cares if you sit outside the VARO for the remainder of your life. The VA wii go on doing what it does regardless. The smart money is to have a VSO from one of the major Veterans Service Organizations. These groups all have a represenative co-located in the VARO that generally have access to the VA computer system, the files and the decision makers. They can look at your file, check digital records and talk with the decision makers. I think I'd go get a job and let someone else do the grunt work here.
  5. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

I just clicked on the link to the VA IRIS site to check on my 1-year old claim ....my inquiry timed out after about 5 minutes. I went back and clicked on the link once again and this time it connected and I received an acknowledgement and a message that a response would be sent to my email address (one of several choices you have for receiving a reply) within 5 days. Beats sitting here in the dark twiddling my thumbs for a year!!
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Now the question is; what kind of answer are you gonna get? Mine have been a mixed bag.
  7. BajaMike

BajaMike New Member

Tin,

Thanks for starting my day with a roaring laugh! It certainly is good for the soul and the best medicine.

I do have a VSO - I did all the work for my increase and handed everything over to her, including all copies, research, medical reports, etc - 100% complete with numbered attachments and tied up nicely. However, I did have the smarts to go ahead and submit everything myself, since she didn't get around to it until several months later. Have never heard a word back (at all) from this person, even though I am a 23 year member of that organization. Did call her once a few months ago requesting status - no surprise - didn't return my call.

What really made me laugh was your presumptive advise for me to "go get a job". I'm a retired fortune 100 corporate executive and turn down more consulting opportunities than most ever get to see. The ones I choose to accept are generally equity deals that continue to pay long after I've finished my active role and I sit on several boards.

Thanks again for starting my day with a laugh and for the link that started this whole thing. You may want to check your stereotyping attitude at the door next time though.
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Good, then you're probably aware how unproductive sitting on a street corner under an umbrella can be. One or two of those equity deals ought to put you well ahead of anything the VA can do for you, otherwise get a cane pole an go fishin'.
  9. BajaMike

BajaMike New Member

Actually, you would be amazed how productive it can be - if done in the right way. I've been on the other side and have seen it performed exquisitely.

You are right, under an umbrella doesn't do anything - you need something (very, very passive) that is much more dramatic. Costs a bit, but what's the point of having a little spare change if you can't make a dramatic point (and have a few laughs) along the way anyway?
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Michael Moore tactics are soooo... yesterday. No one cares any more. You'd be better off finding a VSO that has the time to respond and answer questions. Not all are cut from the same cloth. SD's a big town, look for another one. IRIS does work. Just keep trying.