VA Seeks Chemically Exposed Vets

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by knewheart, May 31, 2005.

1. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) announced a national outreach campaign to locate veterans who were exposed to mustard gas or the chemical weapon Lewisite during their service. Most of these veterans participated in chemical testing programs during World War II. They were exposed to mustard agents, which includes sulfur mustard and nitrogen mustard and Lewisite, which is a blister-producing chemical that contains organic arsenic. The VA is mailing information to veterans and survivors within the first group of participants identified by DoD. . VA is continuing to seek addresses for additional veterans and survivors, and the VA invites veterans to file disability compensation claims for any condition-related to service, including exposure to mustard agents and Lewisite. Veterans or their survivors with questions about these benefits should contact VA at 1-800-749-8387.
  2. Billw018

Billw018 New Member

Knewheart, thanks for posting this article. I read it on military.com today as well. Doesn’t this seem a little ironic that after over sixty (60) years the VA, our government, is seeking out individuals to file for disability compensation? These same individuals “could” be the same as our Priority 7 & 8 veterans as of today. They had no service-connected disability and may not be indigent but they surely would deserve VA Medical Care.

This is really sad, especially when our WWII Veterans are expiring at over 1000 per day. They should have been compensated many years ago.
  3. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

I cannot help but wonder what is the VA's agenda at this late date. In my view, given the age of our WWII brothers, if they are granted a service connected disability, the VA should make their awards retroactive to their discharge date, not the date they filed the claim. God bless all of them. :(
  4. Billw018

Billw018 New Member

I will make this short and sweet. I AGREE with you 100%

I cannot help but think this is a PR campaign. This would have really meant something had they did it 30 or 40 years ago. At this point, our politicians can say “look, see what we have done for our veterans” without paying much in compensation.