Vietnam era vets diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by CEDAR FALLS, Nov 11, 2009.

1. CEDAR FALLS

CEDAR FALLS Member

Anyone heard of an era vet getting a claim napproved for diabetes after being out of service for a long time ?? I read this on the net and have been hearing that era vets are getting claims approved ???

Over time, court rulings and legislative actions have contributed to changes in the types of disability claims received by the VA. For instance, in 2000, Congress passed legislation making adult onset diabetes mellitus presumptive for all Vietnam veterans who served in-country. This has resulted in a large number of disability compensation awards for diabetes to Vietnam-era veterans .
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

If the veteran served inthe Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975 he is entitled to presumption and it doesn't matter how long he's been out. Other veterans must file a claim within one year of discharge
  3. Kingsley

Kingsley Guest

I have cleat almost whole thread but little bit confuse about the word VA.
    Just tell me one thing that for VA stands for what? Then i will able to post a comment.
  4. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

I left Vietnam in 1971 after 2 1/2 years there... come March 2012, I was diagnosed with DMII and HBP. I take oral meds and with diet and exersize...keep it under control. Under the VA Math system..it increased my disability 10%. So..almost 40 years outside of SEA and I am now rated for DMII. I actually thought I dodged the bullet until my PCP told me I had it. For me, it was like a punch in the gut. I had a Brother-In-Law who died of complications to full blown DMII...shots and all. He continued to eat anything and everything. His kidneys failed and dialysis was his undoing. He died slowly.

I get pissed when I see Vets sitting at the bar, drinking beer and liquor and I know they are on shots... Their logic is as long as they have the shots, they can drink/eat what they want. I just tell them...the alcohol and wrong foods are the reason they have to poke their stomachs several times a day. Service in SEA was the presumptive, bad habits make it worse. Even some of the ones on orals think it is a game and rarely take them. I would like to be around a while longer with my grandkids.

In approx. 35 years of working with Veterans as an advocate..I have become the Devils Advocate as well. I hear Veterans complain and most of them create their own situations and blame their families/Boss/the VA/The Military..hell even their dog. The worst enemy of most of these Vets, looks at them every morning when they shave. I get into conversations with some and they say how lucky I am to get rated like I am. I tell them I would gladly give them my maladies so they can have it all. Some think the VA is their CASH COW. Few think about longevity or anyone else. I feel bad for them but..at some point, I cannot be "my Brother's/Sister's keeper".

Now, I remember the VA of the 70's...not even close to what we have now. I get good care using my CBOC and the PCP I have. I sit in on the Veterans Advisory Council of our VAMC in Butler PA and sit in on the Veterans Advisory Council of our Congressional Representative. I have also been a member of the VA PACT (Patient Aligned Care Team).Any problems with each...the other is informed. The VA Medical System is a good one...if not...why does the private sector try to emulate it and even try to take it over? The research out of the Veterans Admin...has been the flagship of treatment for things like Diabetes and are the model of the best in Prosthesis of many types. Veterans have to learn how to utilize this system. With the new health bill upon us... it is a system that is immune from it's users having to pay any penalty for not "buying" an Medical Policy from private or Government sources. I urge all Veterans to utilize the system to keep it strong as well. Even the Private sector Health Systems have failings but, I bet the VA has less.

Well I want you to know this, I advocate the VA Health System as a good choice and no...I am not now or ever been an employee of any part of it. My time on these Councils is volunteer time. I try to educate all Veterans by bringing my information to the many meetings I have with the various Vet Orgs in my area, newspaper and radio as well. I also take inquiries from the Vetereans to those Councils.Point being...it is the duty of every Veteran to LEARN the VA Health System...for themselves as well as those who care about them. Ask questions, and don't get discouraged. Right now, the system is inundated with close to 1,000,000 new applications for claims. I will tell you, it will get worse as the Draw Down(SWA) occurs and the NEW Veterans will be seeking their care...SWA Vets will be given 5 years of care at the VA Facilities, even for non service connection. If you are in the system, good, if not... check to see if you are eligible. Priority 8s are taken as can be afforded.

I write this as some things I learned and some experienced... It is an Honest Opinion... Ya'll be well...
  5. William Green

William Green New Member

My husband was in Vietnam, and he flew in and out between Japan and Vietnam. He applied for Diabetes at the VA and was turned down. They never put his service time in Vietnam or Japan. I did read somewhere from a Congressional Aid that was there to get of hold of the IRS for income tax records while serving in Vietnam. I am so disgusted with the VA center. He is so bad with his Diabetes, I can't even go out to work, taking care of him all the time. Do you know of other ways to get this corrected?
  6. iamish116

iamish116 New Member

Teah, Even some of the ones on orals think it is a game and rarely take them. I would like to be around a while longer with my grandkids.
  7. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member

8. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member