Vietnam Veterans Create New Organization

Discussion in 'Vietnam Veterans of America' started by knewheart, Jun 14, 2005.

1. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Military.Com, 6/14/05

Vietnam Veterans Create New Organization

The Fleet Reserve Association reports that a group of Vietnam veterans, concerned and frustrated with the lack of public understanding of the Vietnam War and the negative image of those who served there, has embarked on a new mission--to tell the American people the truth about what really happened in Vietnam. The new Vietnam Veterans Legacy Foundation will be led by Col. George E. "Bud" Day, a Medal of Honor recipient and former prisoner of war (POW) who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, and is the Air Force's most highly decorated combat veteran. For more information on the new organization, visit the Vietnam Veterans Legacy Foundation website.
  2. ratgut

ratgut New Member

I'm look for members of the 1968 86th transportation group stationed out of Long Binh. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.
  3. rainvet

rainvet New Member

ratgut, I was station out of Long Binh in 1968 but I haven't been able to locate anyone from there with whom I served also. Have you try the Military web site. RainVet !
  4. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I always worry when I see some group about to explain the Vietnam War to Americans. A lot of the vets I talk to have their own personal agenda and perceived prejudices and really don't know much about the war. before you take offense, realize that some trooper who was a private and did a year in Vietnam, never having any authority or never actually having to write an order or even give an order really doesn't know a hell of a lot. There are those that thought Diem was Ok, those that hated him. Ditto for Westmorland. There are those that believe there was no Gulf of Tonkin, that there was one attack or that there were two attacks. We still haven't exactly figured that one out although I am of the one attack school. I have met people who think we went there for oil, others that think it was for zinc. Some say Johnson was OK, others think he was a liar and thief. At any rate, before you start to teach people about Vietnam you better be sure that you know what it was all about.
  5. rainvet

rainvet New Member

ratgut, Bertf, Im a Vietnam Combat Vet and serviced in 1968/69 and I sure don't need anyone else telling me about what they think may and nor may not a\had happen in Vietnam. I'f you weren't there , you can't and want understand why, what and where the Soldiers had to endure over there.RV!
  6. joeblowj0

joeblowj0 New Member

What happened in Vietnam

I was stationed in Dian for eight ( 8 ) months. I was then sent to Khe Sanh fo The Dewey Canon II Operations. These two places were night day and night. You had to be in that particular place to know what happened. My personal opinion is;
    soldiers in Vietnam, only knew what happened on their tour. A lot of things went on that were not on reports or in the Stars and Strips. I was personally involved, like a lot of you, in things you would not repeat and the Govt. will not acknowledge, happened. " If you were not there, you do not understand ". These words were spoken by many a Vietnam Veteran.
    This is my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  7. lacyben

lacyben New Member

If you did not walk in my boots, see thru my eyes, feel the fear in my mind, feel the loneliness I felt, cried my tears when I was there and cried the tears I cry now, you do not understand my tour. The is no explaining the Vietnam War. Only the politics and an ungrateful nation.
  8. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I am not talking about the fact that every soldier has a different story. That is obvious. I have seen guys almost come to blows about whether or not it was cold in Vietnam. Some guys froze their asses off, other sweated. I have seen them alsmost come to blows over dope. The guys who were there early never saw anyone smoking weed, the guys late in the war were surrounded by it. Most guys never saw an atrocity, others claim to have seen them, though there is no way to tell if they did or just want sympathy or have other motivation. I am talking about none of this. I am talking about those who are just wrong. I have seen Vietnam vets in complete honesty say that there could not have been a Gulf of Tonkin because the North Vietnamese had no Navy. The North Vietnamese will be shocked to hear that. I have seen a veteran explain to school children that America went to Vietnam to take their zinc...swear to God. This is the point I am making. Who makes sure that the people explaining the Vietnam War know what they are talking about?
  9. rainvet

rainvet New Member

You don't and won't; 100% Service Connected Vietnam Vet, 68/69, RainVet
  10. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

"The guys who were there early never saw anyone smoking weed, the guys late in the war were surrounded by it."

I'm in the "there early" group '66-'67. I never saw weed or anything else when I was there. BUT, try to tell someone who wasn't in country that. They act like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think we each have our own opinions of that war. So we should be careful to clarify our opinion by saying "this is what I saw or think" Not "this is something that happened over the entire 10 years war".

I've heard many things that I never did or see happen yet, Like Joeblowjo. "I was personally involved, like a lot of you, in things you would not repeat and the Govt. will not acknowledge."

From reading the dates of these postings I assume that there's not really any issue here. Never heard any more about the "New Organization".

It's been 32+ years since the war and 40 years since I was there....Some of it seems like it happened this morning and some is long forgotten.
  11. Facing The Wall

Facing The Wall New Member

150% Correct

Being the wife of a Nam Vet, I can only confirm what I know through my husband. He is a veterans who is 100% disabled with PTSD. I have seen him having a flashback, crying, wondering why he survived ~ he came back as a changed man.

As Lacyben mentions, only our veterans truly know how they feel. So unless you have been there, you have no right to state things that you don't know or comprehend.
  12. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

Guys,

Just what we need.... another Vietnam Veterans Group. I have to wonder what the ones we already have... one being the only Fed. Chartered (VVA), are not doing that can't be guided to cover the concerns of a NEW group? I think the reason we Vietnam Vets started our own organizations was ... at the time..none of the Older orgs addressed our specific issues. We are now seeing many of those orgs dissolving from either lack of interest or finding the ones left address their needs. No... I was never a Member of the VVA nor am now a member of the VVnW. I didn't join Viet-Now or even though I ride a Harley.. not the VVMC or Nam-Knights etc.... Nothing meant against any of them, believe me. I have friends in them all.

What we end up with is a hodge podge of Veterans Groups that approach our Legislators with a divided message. American Legion, VFW, AMVETS, DAV, PVA, BVA..the list goes on. Each of the main Orgs go to Washington DC with hat in hand and ask for Health Care, Education Benefits, Employment Benefits and a long list of items EACH org addresses. The problem is this.... Each goes to Washington at different times thus SMALLER representation. To speak as ONE with the whole list of discussions would and should be enough to make the Legislators think twice... once about the power of a combined effort to present their cases and another and reluctantly seems more important... a VOTING BLOCK. When you break it down, IMHO, the veterans issues only show differences between the WWII/Korea ( More Geriatric at this time) and the Vietnam-SW Asia... retiring as well as working group. Each has specific needs. We need to assure the older warriors of a decent life and very good but expensive geriatric/health care. Assurances for them will be pushed mostly by the second group. We have to take care of our predecessor. It is expected. The Vietnam Era Veteran is now the largest group of Veterans. We embraced the younger Vets to see that they get what we fought to get for ourselves and issues specific to them. So.. as a Vietnam Era Veteran WE COLLECTIVELY have to fight for our Parents and our Children.

We ( Vietnam Era Veterans) are now in the Hierarchy of the Mainstream Veterans Orgs and hold the high offices of the Local, State and National Boards. Why is it that we have to form yet another group to "explain and educate" about what we did in Vietnam??? Why can't this be done with the tools we have at hand now? Is it a personal quest for power? I hope not. Importance... I hope not. I am no more important than any of my fellow Vets.

These are my observations from decades of dealing with Veterans issues at my local, state and Federal level. I have gone to Washington with "hat in hand". I have met with my legislators and many others, I have helped work on legislation that affects ALL veterans. I didn't do any of this by myself. We need a combined voice.... not a scattering of jumbled sound. I have my doubts that a new Vietnam Veterans Org will do any more than divide us even more.

I am a Life Member and hold office and committee positions in the DAV at local, district and State level

I am a Life Member and past office holder in the VFW

I am a member and past office holder in the AL

I am a life member and Office holder in the Mercer Co. PA Vietnam Era Veterans Assoc. ( formed in 1980 when the others didn't address our issues. MCVEVA now deals with POW-MIA issues and Legislation at all levels.)

I serve on two Congressmen's Veteran's Advisory Boards. ( In the past months have pushed for TBI care for the SW Asian Veterans and Bonus Guarantee that will encompass ANY Military Personell hurt in the line of duty and had a bonus paid. Before it was stated only those who served in SW Asia.)

I cannot do anything without the help of others. I am but one bee in the hive.
  13. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

VV1

I`m quite new here (couple weeks) But I`m not new concerning problems we as `nam vets have faced over the years. I spent the last 3 months of my service in hospitals (Ubon AB hospital, Camp Mercy, and Maxwell.) Discharged in `73 then spent 22 days of my first three months as a civilain in and out of VA hospitals. Back then we as `nam vets came home, shed our status as vets, and most didn`t speak up for years. For the reasons you all know so I want go there now. When we did start coming out there was no order at all.....I think this was the main player in explaining all the veterans groups that have surfaced pretaining to V`nam vets. I call it organization among the un-organizable. I was discharged at 20% but now know it should have been 100%...It is 100% now, after many years of fighting the system. An ordeal that only increased my problems because I had very little faith or trust in anything that said VA or Gov. in the title. (still don`t)

With that said::: I do agree with you ,your post above was right on ...Your post on this thread is the best use of the soap box I have seen in years.This in particular :
    I was shuffled in and out of S.E.A 3 times in three years. And each time I saw things I did not see the time before.Knewheart,Joeb,Bertf,Rainvet,DonaldN and Lacyben, I have to agree with you all, it depended on when and where your service took place. And we sure don`t need anyone person or group explaining what it was like or about.
    Lacyben hit the nail on the head with his explaination.The only thing that can be explained is the politicans and the ungrateful nation that turned their back on us. Then and still do today !!!!!!!!!!

My two cents, maybe three.
    RiverRat
  14. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I see this is still bouncing around. I was surprised to see it back again this morning. Anyway, a good example is the Gulf of Tonkin. Among the various beliefs is that it never happened, there was one attack, there were two attacks. It always appeared that the first attack occurred but the second attack was just radar problems. However, a recent book implies that there were no attacks. Regardless, why would they attack? Well, we know they were dropping off guerrillas along the coast of North Vietnam so some say it was in retaliation, others will say it was just the North Vietnamese messing with the navy. If you believe in deep dark plots, it was Johnson wanting an excuse to escalate. Now, before you start talking to kids, is everyone going to sit down and come up with a common story? I doubt it.

I have lectured on Desert Storm for years. I always said that Saddam probably attacked Kuwait because (1) Iraq was deep in debt, (2) Kuwait was an old province of Iraq and (3) Iraq believed Kuwait was stealing its oil. All that is in the crapper now because an FBI agent who interrogated Saddam said the invasion was because of a personal insult, the Emir of Kuwait saying that he would not be happy until all Iraqi women were $10 whores.

Professors can't get much of this stuff right. Before some vet tries to explain history to school kids he better be sure that he has it right.