Voc Rehab Resources & FAQ's. Look here before you ask.

Discussion in 'Education Benefits' started by SSGTVOL, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSGTVOL

SSGTVOL Super Moderator Staff Member

Direct link to the guide for Voc Rehab. Here you will find the skinny on everything Voc Rehab. Including Eligibility, Periods of eligibility, Leaves of absence and pretty much anything else you can think of.

US CODE: Title 38, Chapter 31
  2. SSGTVOL

Stipend

How much should my stipend be?

Link

Is there a problem with receiving your stipend?

Have you certified with the VA rep at your school? You must certify with this person every semester. That person is responsible for verifying your schedule and forwarding the certification to your Voc Rehab counselor.

Have you called your Voc Rehab counselor to ensure he/she has all the paperwork from you & your school?

If you get your stipend via direct deposit, have you given the right bank routing numbers for your account?
  3. SSGTVOL

Independent Living Program

Questions about Independent Living Program (ILP)?

Link
  4. SSGTVOL

Tuition etc.

Questions about Tuition, Books, Computers, Calculators and all other supplies?

If you are approved for a college type program you will get a VA 28-1905 form. This form is used by the school to show that the VA is paying your tuition. You will also get a copy of this form to buy your books. Just take the form to the bookstore and they will (should) know what to do. This is also the same form that you will show to get your supplies. The consumable supplies rate varies (why, I have no idea) but for a full course load I receive $40. If you need supplies in excess of your allotment, call your Voc Rehab counselor.
    If you need an expensive item such as a graphing calculator, let your counselor know and after verifying it is required, they will get the paperwork done (usually by updating your 1905).
    If you need a computer, tell your counselor, they know what to do if you are found to be in need of one. If they ask for letters from the school and your self, this is just to cover their 6. A sample of the letters I used follow.

I would like to request VA help in purchasing a computer to use in my education program. The computer I have was purchased in 1996 and is not operating well, on the rare occasion it operates at all. It does not have the capacity to run some programs, it is very slow and shuts down on its own, which occasionally causes me to lose work. I currently commute to other places to use computers for my schoolwork. The additional commuting requires additional time away from my study time as well as increasing the burden on my family. Going to school full time, two small children who are also in school as well as my wife in school and working full time makes for a very hectic schedule. Having a computer at my residence to help with my schoolwork would definitely increase my study time and remove a huge burden from myself and my family. Sincerely, yada yada yada.

Now they will more than likely ask for a letter from a counselor or someone in a similar capacity. This is the letter that my counselor typed out for me.

I am writing this letter on behalf of JOE BLOW. Joe is currently enrolled at U of ABC. He is requesting a new computer to be used in furthering his undergraduate education. The use of a computer would be a valuable asset as he continues his education. As you know the use of a computer has become a necessary tool on the road to higher education. Having a computer available at his home would undoubtedly remove the burden of having to commute to other locations to use a computer to assist in his educational goals.
    If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at xxx-xxxx. My e-mail address is [email protected].
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.