What else would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by slapyo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

I am curious if there is anything else you would like to see added to the site. I can't promise that I can add it. But I can look into every idea and see what I can do. I'll try my hardest to add in everything I possibly can.

One thing I have been thinking about is giving everyone the option to get their own Veterans Resources email address. It would be [email protected] and you would be able to access it anywhere since it would be web based.
  2. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

I would like to put a photo in the text of my posts. Currently, it seems the only photos I can post are those that end up being thumbnails at the bottom of the page. How can I/we do that?
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I'm with Tom on that. I've been trying to figure out how to do that without success.
  4. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

Me three...I noticed some members have unit avatars/patches in their signature...I haven`t figured out how to do that yet. But I am always open to advice.

RR
  5. slapyo

Once you upload your picture and make your post. View it. Then open that picture up. Copy the URL and then go back and edit your post and place the image in your post using the IMG tags. If that wasn't clear let me know.
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Let me see if I have this right; I should place the URL between the open and close BBCode for IMG /IMG (obviously within brackets). Is that correct? Can I do that from the start or do I have to go thru the process you explained?

OK, testing

[​IMG]

Oh cool, it works. Thanks a bunch.
  7. slapyo

Yes it can be done from the start if you have the URL (ie, you didn't need to upload it first ... it was already on the web some where)
  8. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

What are IMG tags?????
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I usually upload my images to a hosting site but hadn't considered VRO could do the hosting, at least that's what I think you are saying if I follow your method. Do I have that correct?
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Tom: It's BBCode see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

The image tags for BBcode are IMG & /IMG both are contained in square brackets. I can't type them out that way now because they will be acted on.

You can put quoted materilal between the words quote and /quote. Again , both the opening and closing tag need to be enclosed in square brackets like this: [ ] Just like putting those words between parens only using square brackets.
  11. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

RiverRat

Look on the toolbar for VRO. See "User CP" "FAQ" "MembersList" etc. Click on UserCP (User Control Panel). Look in the left frame and click on Edit Avatar. There's more but that should get you started.
  12. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

River Rat

Please post an avatar portrait photo instead of some patch or whatever. Join us in the "Mug Club". We won't laugh, promise!

TCM:

Thanks for the explanation. I will have to play around with it to see if I can make it work. You know us old guys have a slight problem with all this technology. Any way, if I get it working, it should enliven and enhance some of the satire I post from time to time.
  13. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

Thanks TCM. Is there ANYTHING you don`t know? Sure have impressed me the last few days. Keep up the good work.

Knewheart...I just wanted to know how to put my unit avatar in my signature.I had enough trouble getting the d*mn portrait photo from my computer to my e-mail so I`m sending it to Donnie . He will put it up for me....Besides...You will all agree--I`m the best looking one ( male) here..Hee Hee... If not then I can always blame Donnie for sabotaging my photo.

RR
  14. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

RiverRat:

Yeah, lotsa things I don't know. I hardly know anything about SMC. I don't do gadgets very well or cellphones, blackberries, PDA's and the like. Know nothing of those little portable music repositories that everyone has plugged into their ear. ...and to tell the truth, precious little about graphics. I'm pretty much PhotoShop illiterate although I can "adjust" someone else's work.
  15. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

TinCanMan
    I don`t know any of that stuff either. And I`m to old to learn..Besides , just as I figured out how to use my cellphone it was up dated so I`m having to learn a new one. I`ve had a computer for 12 years and just when I figured out the XP-SP1 the SP2 format came along and I`m lost again. Knewheart said it best..We old timers are a little slow when it comes to this stuff.

RiverRat
  16. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Ditto! My 3 y/o grand son the 5 year olds and 11 y/o all have the MP3 players.They are so cute they walk around with it in their ears and bebop to the music.I can't figure it out.Same with recording on the dvd player.I can barely navigate on here.
  17. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

Speaking of dvd...and now I`m faced with another decision...HD-dvd or Blueray-dvd . By the time I decide it will all change again. Maybe I will pass on it all. Where is my fishing pole ?

River Rat
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

With Warner Brothers’ backing, Sony’s Blu-ray high-definition format now has about 70 percent of the DVD market locked up. I believe HD-DVD is now the 21st Century BetaMax. HD-DVD may not exactly be dead, but it is surely damaged goods. Blu-ray titles are outsellinh HD-DVD 2 - 1.

Here's a link you might want to examine: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6832088-1.html?tag=nl.e501
  19. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Ok, been experimenting. Tried to follow your instructions but get stuck on "Once you upload your picture". I guess I don't know how to upload a picture other than to use "Insert Image" which requires a URL. If I already know a URL. I could just enclose it in IMG tags. What am I missing here? Guess I'm looking for some way to drag or copy a .jpg to the new post window. ?????
  20. slapyo

No problem. Here is a step by step.

1 - New Thread or Post Reply (not quick reply)
    2 - Scroll down to Additional Options
    3 - Click Manage Attachments
    4 - In new window, click Browse ... select file
    5 - Repeat step 4 if you have more than one file to upload, only 6 at a time
    6 - Click Upload
    7 - New window should close, then submit your new thread or reply
    8 - View your post and click each attachment so you can grab the URL, copy/paste it to notepad for reference
    9 - Edit your post, and insert IMG tags with the URLs that you copied in previous step