Where did you take basic training?

Discussion in 'United States Army' started by Terry McGee, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Terry McGee

Terry McGee New Member

Fort Benning, GA, then on to Ft. Polk, LA or as we called it...Fort Puke, Lousyanna!
  2. Yoge Mountain

Yoge Mountain New Member

Fort Dix, New Jersey. January 1968. Froze my ass off on the rifle range :D

Repeat after me soldier... "I am a dying cockroach."
  3. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Fort Campbell, Kentucky Sep 67- Nov 67
  4. Terry McGee

Terry McGee New Member

Been back?

Have any of you been back to visit your beloved training grounds? I haven't. I did go back to see the hospital I was in, Valley Forge GH. That was in Phoenixville, PA. The Army sold it to a religious group to use as a school. They sold off most of the land. But, my old bed was still there on the ward!
  5. john spadea

john spadea New Member

HEY TERRY!! I WENT ALMOST THE SAME ROUTE AS YOU. I WENT TO FORT GORDON GEORGIA
    AND THEN TO FORT POLK. REMEMBER LAKE CHARLES AND SHREEVEPORT?
    I WAS WITH THE 1ST INFANTRY 2/28 BLACK LIONS 1965/67 SPADEA
  6. joeblowj0

joeblowj0 New Member

Watch your mouth. The best soldiers in the nation were trained in Louisiana. I know because I live and was trained in Louisiana. I may not be one of the best, but I am one of the lucky ones who returned home, because of the great training we got at Fort Polk. No offense to any other Fort, but Fort Polk is well know because of TIGER LAND.
  7. gbaker

gbaker New Member

Fort Dix, New Jersey... Fort Sill, Oklahoma (oh the heat)! Then on to Fort Vietnam! (some fort)
  8. john spadea

john spadea New Member

HEY GERRY ! I trained troops at fort Dix when I came back from Nam. The best time of my life. The First Army patch ( The big A ). I would come home every weekend and kick ass during the week. Revenge is sweet.
    SPADEA
  9. Terry McGee

Terry McGee New Member

Hey Joeblowjo

I know all about Tiger Land. I went through it! In Vietnam my CO asked where I took AIT and when I said Ft. Polk he wanted to know what part. I told him Tiger Land and he put me on point my first day with the company! I still don't like the guy.
  10. joeblowj0

joeblowj0 New Member

Tiger Land

I did not train in Tiger Land, I visited with a friend. I was in transportation. I did train at Fort Polk. My job was to get stuff from point A to point B without letting that little bastart stopping me. He came close qiuite a few times, but he wasn't that good. The drill sgt. told me not to make any plans after I get home. He said there is a Charlie out there with your name on his bullet. My answer to him was this. If one of our guys get to him, before he gets to me, I'm comming home. Stay possitive. Same as today. Stay possitive and let time take it's course. We can push it along a little. Those in the wrong WILL GET THEIR DUE. Do on to National, as National has done on to you. :eek:
  11. Terry McGee

Terry McGee New Member

True statement above!

Amen..........and so be it!
  12. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Fort Campbell, Kentucky (May 1968) then to Ft. Hautuch,AZ ( for Light Vech)
    Training Sept. 1968) then to Lon Binh, Vietnam for Heavy Veh. Transportion and Reinforcing built up during the Tets Offences (Oct.1968/Oct1969-366 days in country) then went to ft. Stre.,Ga. then to Hunter Army air base in Sav,Ga.(Compeled my two yrs of Army Service) GOD Bless all Veterans and the USA !
  13. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

I'm not one of You heroes,but thought I'd share my sons training.He went to Ft Jackson for Basic.Then to Ft Gordon for AIT was trained in communications.Went to jump school at Ft Benning then spent the rest of his time as a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne at Ft Bragg.Went a little over 4 years in the Army and the closet he got to combat was being on a plane to Haiti before former President Carter negotiated.He said they were all let down when he had to say "Sir they want us to go back".Now he's in the National Guard and in Iraq as an engineer seeking explosives so they can be detonated.He went to Ft Sill to be trained to go to Iraq.Also spent much of his summer in Ft Leonardwood,Mo to finish Officer Training school.I need to talk to my Uncle.He was in Nam and was with a Cav group.He lost his leg in the battle that WE WERE SOLDIERS was based on.He is really proud of the time he spent in the Army.I look at every person who has ever been in the service as a hero.God Bless you and Thanks!!Sorry to be such a blabber mouth I just like to share anything about my son.He is my biggest hero.
    knewheart likes this.
  14. joeblowj0

joeblowj0 New Member

Stumpy, I was stationed in Fort Campell, Kentucky, when I returned from the Nam. I was in transportation. June 1971 to Sept. 1971
  15. DAWGSoldier

DAWGSoldier New Member

FT Polk

BCT FT Polk SEP71 --> FT Eustis 67N (Huey Flying target) --> VietNam (Orders Revoked) --> Reassigned to FT Bliss to form 1/3 ADA, attached to 101 Airborne -->FT Campbell JAN 73 --> Germany NOV73 (Nope! Orders Revoked again!) OCT 74 - ETS from Campbell!

I did go back 8 years later for some wierd reason and did a "Try One" in the NY National Guard for kicks! A year later I got talked into checking out the Army Reserve Drill Sergeant Program (can you spell s-u-c-k-e-r?) for "one year" and I ended up doing twenty years in the Army Reserves.

I retired SEP 04 but a good friend just was appointed Division CSM and asked if I wanted back in since I have six more years before mandatory retirement..... let's see... how do you spell s-u-c-k-e-r again? LOL

Because the subject was BCT (18 years in that environment from E-1 to E-8) I have to say that FT Polk was the best time of my life. There was something very special there. You felt proud to be there, "Through These Gates Pass The Best Soldiers in The United States Army." Remember that sign? There was another one at the Confidence Course, "Let Those Who Have Failed To Prepare Now Prepare To Fail."

I just lost my Cycle Book (Year Book) in a house fire and it is probably the thing I miss the most - besides my house!
  16. LITTLEREDSH

LITTLEREDSH New Member

"Love" Co., 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division, Fort Dix, New Jersey, Jan-Mar '49.
  17. sooner1938

sooner1938 New Member

Delete..............
  18. maxtor

maxtor Member

Bct

Fort Polk for basic and AIT. 71-72
  19. johnnya

johnnya New Member

Started at Fort Bragg, NC for basic then on to Fort Lee, Va, beautiful place for supply school then they sent me to the armpit of the United States, Fort Reily, Ka, what a dump. Made us stand out in the hot summer sun for a horse that died, descendent of one of Gen. Custer horses. Then like the rest of you went to Fort Nam, 25th. Inv., 2/22 Mech up in Dau Tieng.
  20. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

Ft. Jackson SC Tank Hill " B-1-1..... determined to serve SIR !!!! "July 1968 and always wondered about fire watch on the coal furnaces in the WWII barracks. I will always remember SFC Haskett (good) and Lt. Smoker... (bad). I found every prickley pear..my ass was the detector on night training. Never been back but always wondered. In July of 68 we knew we were the next fodder headed SEA. I think they had my orders cut when I was born. 6 years Army with 2 1/2 on the ground in SEA IIFFV IIICORP

For all of US (those who have served and continue to do so.. my words Copywrite). Fit for all of our conflicts.

"To those who died, honor and eternal rest; to those still in bondage, remembrance and hope; to those who returned, gratitude and peace."

WELCOME HOME
    knewheart likes this.