Where did you take basic training?

Discussion in 'United States Army' started by Terry McGee, Mar 14, 2005.

1. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

Vietvet1

That was drag ass hill to us .I was in C-1-1 in 1969 at Ft.Jackson. When we went out on a 20 mile forced march,To the rifle ranges.and bivwack,by the time we made it back to the co.area. Our ass was dragging. I went to Ft. Leonard Wood for AIT,then went through NCO school there as a 51h40 (engineer construction forman).Then to Chu Lai Vietnam for one hitch.
    Welcome home brothers:)
  2. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

Grand Daddy Drag Ass did that to you LOL. DId they still have the Soap Box Derby there for the kids up near the Water Tower?? One of our details was striking tents and chairs for the event. I remember those " leisurely walks" LOL. As a fat Draftee, Jenny Craig was no match. I lost over 50 pounds in the time I was there. I remember, no potatoes, bread or butter and most of the time I was not allowed to sit down in the messhall but had to eat off the tray as I went around to take it immediately back to be washed. Interesting diet to say the least. Now they won't take you if you are 10 or 20 overweight LOL. Went in at 277# and after first year in Nam 194#. Being
    6'3" helped but it was a crash diet for sure.
    knewheart likes this.
  3. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

vietvet1

That was how it was. You should have been in the NCO cshool. The 2 things good about it was the rank and playing DI for 8 weeks to the up comming classes. Now that was fun.:)
  4. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

Sounds like you got some "revenge". I am glad I was long gone by the time you got there. I had enough abuse there and was more than happy to grab my orders and run. Then again, my perception was, I had a better time in Nam than my High School years LOL. To be real honest, I almost went AWOL in the 5th week. I had no one to ask about military life ( Dad was from Greece ) so I had this idea that Basic was what I was going to be doing my whole time in the military. Lucky I had 2 friends who talked to me LOL. I would have never thought, at the time, I would eat up 6 years in the Green Machine and kinda like it. Funny how life is.
  5. Kent

Kent New Member

Fort Jackson, S.C. I was drafted and spent June & July 1970 in the tank hill area, B-8-2. Then to wheeled vehicle mechanics school at same post. I ended up as a tracked vehicle mechanic in Illesheim, Germany. A Co, 2nd Bn, 51st Inf. I remember that training was curtailed in basic when temp. and humidity reached a certain point. Those from up north or overweight had a hard time of it! Would like to go back to visit sometime.
  6. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

Ft.Jackson has changed

I went back to Ft. jackson back in 1984 and at that time,it hadn't changed much.I have Google Earth on my computer and looked at the post a few months back. They have torn down all but about 6 of the old barricks and a few mess halls and one church that I went to are still there. They have built several new buildings in the tank hill area.I have some photos of Jackson on a web site I posted in this section, under my photos. Take a look at them.
    Walt vn1970-71:rolleyes::rolleyes: Welcome Home!
  7. Kent

Kent New Member

TerraServer has an aerial photo showing old barracks around 1994. Can't remember exactly which ones I was in though. Wonder if they still low-crawl on the canvas before chow?
  8. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

Low crawl

If your talking about Ft.Jackson,we had to low crawl and eat the sand before chow brother.:eek::eek:
  9. Quadvet

Quadvet New Member

Lots o' fun

Went twice:
    Fort Leonard Wood, MO - June 77 @ 17 yrs
    Fort Dix, NJ - October 85 @ 26 yrs
  10. BILLT

BILLT New Member

Ft.Jackson 1967 echo company e-6-2-

would love to go back there and see if the old barracks is still there.
  11. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

There are about 5 of the old barricks still there and one church and maybe one mess hall. I went back down there in 1984 and looked around. Google Earth still showes that the buildings are there. That was water tank hill or drag ass hill to us in 1969. I was in C-1-1
    Welcome home brother Walt vn1970-71
  12. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

Fort Campbell June 69 - Aug 69, E-6-2, then Fort Lee, Va for AIT then AnKhe Vietnam, then Fort Hood, Tx, got out in Dec 1971 and went back in in Sept 1972 went thru Fort Polk for in processing, ended up staying about 3 months marching troops to get haircuts and clothing, hated the place. Finally retired in 1990 still miss all the folks but love the retirement money. Sgt D
  13. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi NurseFlo
    I say you are inded one of us. You gave birth to your and our heroes in the form of your sons. God Bless ya. Those who waite at home for their loved ones suffer as much though they don't get to shoot a few of the enemy.
  14. gmich72

gmich72 New Member

Fort Dix, NJ - Summer 1990. Delta 126...The best at Fort Dix! Haha. Aaahh, the memories. It would be nice to be able to find my girls... :)
  15. redacevet

redacevet New Member

Fort Ord California 1967 Basic and Advanced Training 11B and again in 1981 Fort Jackson Basic and Fort Gorden Advanced 36H. How many like me was a "lucky" enough to do it twice.
    "Can Do" was what we had to shout and Drill said there was no such thing as can"t. Later in Iraq I was glad for all the training but before then I didn't realize how "lucky" I was to get the training twice.
  16. ptmt96

ptmt96 New Member

Basic Training

"Basic" Fort Dix
  17. ptmt96

ptmt96 New Member

Basic and AIT

Basic Training at Fort Dix, NJ Aug'71-Oct'71

AIT (Tigerland) Fort Polk, LA. Oct'71-Dec'71 Anyone down there at that time?

ROK - 38th 150mi by 2.5mi
  18. Spec.4

Spec.4 New Member

Spec.E4

Basic training-fort dix nj (april, 1973)
    charlie co.
    Ait-fort jackson sc (september, 1973)
    mos- clerk typist
    medals: The national defence medal,the cold war certificate, qualification medals : M-15 rifle sharpshooter,granade expert
  19. skydiv35

skydiv35 New Member

Ft. Campbell Ky.

I was drafted 16 Aug. 1966 went to Ft. Campbell for basic training. i was in the 2nd graduation after opening for basic. I spent the first 2 weeks preparing barracks to live in. After graduation in October I went to Ft. Huachuca Arizona for A.I.T. for truck driving. From there I went to Babenhausen Germany until I got out in Jul. 68.
    Roger G likes this.
  20. geraldhc

geraldhc New Member

Fort Dix N.J. Basic trainning1950

Took basic trainning april,1950 at fort dix.
    Company K 39th inf.reg. 9th inf div.
    Any one out there. Love to chat with you.
    From Fort Dix to Camp Chaffee then to Fort Jackson
    then :) Japan to Korea in 1951.