WWII Veteran Missing from VA Hospital - where to turn?

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by staceycox, Jul 16, 2004.

1. staceycox

staceycox New Member

Hi,

I am a family member of a WWII Veteran who has spent his entire life post-WWII in a veteran's hospital. Upon returning from the war, he was diagnosed schitzophrenic, and spent his life between the Memphis, TN and North Little Rock, AR VA Hospitals.

Richard loved his family very much. At times, he would notify the VA that he was returning home to them in Memphis, and would board a bus. Each time, he would "survive" with his family for a few short days before voluntarily returning to the hospital for more treatment. He rarely left the VA without first notifying them.

In May of 1985, Richard went missing from the VA in North Little Rock. It is unknown whether he wandered away and met an ill fate or whether something happened at the VA for which they are not owning up to. Needless to say, his family has spent the last twenty years trying to solve this mystery. His wife of fifty years is still alive. She loves him deeply, always supporting him and his illness, and never remarried. He has two daughters who now care for their mother in her advanced age.

I am the third generation of family members working to bring answers to these three women. I ask that if anyone has any ideas as to where to turn or how to get answers on this, please contact me or post here. We have worked with the local VA authorities, the FBI and have written letters to members of Congress to no avail.

Warm regards,
    Stacey Cox
    [email protected]
  2. jwilson

jwilson New Member

Maybe you could get the media involved and highlight the mystery. Maybe someone would see the broadcast and have info.

Also you could try to get a tv show involved that would bring national media attention.

Maybe submit something to unsolved mysteries or someother show like americas most wanted where they do stories like what happened to this person if you know call.
  3. BEING

BEING New Member

Sorry to hear about Richard

We seem to have a problem kind of like yours that we are looking into. It seems that a WW11 Vet here is out of touch with his family, other than a family member that has been taking care of him. No one is allowed to come visit or have any contact with him, for reasons that no one can understand.
    We know that the caretakers are in charge of his moneys. People are starting to remember that "Dead Veterans Don't get Benefits". We have written letters to see what can be done, but no one seems to know anything. Family services are the next step in our hunt.
    Good luck on your search and I hope you have good news.